Pete Evans Tells Sydney People Not To Get Tested For Covid-19
A coronavirus outbreak has been detected on Sydney's Northern Beaches, with 17 people now testing positive.
Thousands of residents in the area spent yesterday (17 December) in lines, trying to get themselves tested in the hope that health officials will be able to get on top of the cluster.
However, if it were up to Pete Evans, everyone would have stayed home.
Reacting to the photos of people standing in long queues for a Covid-19 swab, the Australian celebrity chef mocked them.
He wrote: "OUTBREAK ... 2 cases (with clown-face emojis). Can you see where this is heading again. Testing for the common cold? Do not get tested."
The post has appeared to have since been deleted.
New South Wales chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant says authorities are racing against the clock to make sure everyone gets tested and isolates at home.
More Like ThisMore Like This
It comes after track and trace experts said the cluster has been traced to the Avalon RSL Club on 11 December.
"Our working hypothesis is that someone at that RSL club was potentially the source of infection for a number of subsequent cases," she said. "So, it is critical that we identify any individuals that may be positive there."
Authorities have also highlighted the following areas, where coronavirus infections have been traced back to:
- The Avalon RSL Club, 1 Bowling Green Ln, Avalon Beach - Friday, December 11, all day til close
- The Penrith RSL Club, 8 Tindale St, Penrith - Sunday, December 13, 1pm to 6pm
- The Kirribilli Club, 11 Harbourview Cres, Lavender Bay - Monday, December 14, 12 to 3pm
- Hungry Ghost Cafe, 20 Avalon Parade, Avalon - Sunday, December 13, 9.30am-11am and Tuesday, December 15, 9.30-11am
- Sneaky Grind Cafe, 3/48 Old Barrenjoey Road, Avalon Beach - Monday, December 14, 9.30-11am
- Barramee Thai Massage and Spa, 4/42-44 Old Barrenjoey Road, Avalon Beach - Monday, December 14, 2-3.30pm
- Bangkok Sidewalk Restaurant, 1/21-23 Old Barrenjoey Road, Avalon Beach - Monday, December 14, 7-8pm
- Avalon Bowlo (bowling club), 4 Bowling Green Lane Avalon Beach - Sunday, December 13, 5-7pm (not 3-5pm as previously reported) and Tuesday, December 15, 3-5pm
- Palm Beach female change rooms - Sunday, 13 December 9-9.15am
- Coast Palm Beach Cafe, Barren Joey Road, Palm Beach - Sunday, December 13, 10‑11am
People who visited these locations at the specified times are urged to get tested, even if they have no symptoms, and isolate after.
Residents north of Sydney's Spit Bridge up to Palm Beach have been advised to work from home and friends and loved ones urged not to visit the Northern Beaches.
States and territories will be looking to see what happens with the outbreak in determining whether border restrictions need to be reinstated.
Featured Image Credit: Pete Evans/Instagram
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read