Advert

Tasmania's Borders Will Stay Closed Until At Least December 1

Published 
| Last updated 

Tasmania's Borders Will Stay Closed Until At Least December 1

People hoping to nip to Tasmania for a well-earned holiday will have to wait until at least the end of the year.

The state government has declared its borders will stay closed until at least December 1.

Premier Peter Gutwein says the decision to keep the state shut off from the rest of Australia is intended to protect his people as places like Victoria and New South Wales experience outbreaks of coronavirus.

Keeping people out also means keeping Tasmanians in and they'll be compensated if they choose to travel around their own area rather than try to go interstate.

Advert
Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Mr Gutwein said in an address to state parliament: "In regards to extending our border restrictions for a longer period, we also recognise there is a need to do more to help our hospitality and tourism industry.

"Today I'm also announcing [a package to encourage] intrastate visitation and to support Tasmanians getting out and visiting their own home state.

"We are announcing that we'll be introducing the 'Make Yourself at Home' travel voucher, which means that across the months of September, October and November we'll be making a total of $7.5 million available to encourage Tasmanians to travel outside of their municipality, to stay midweek in accommodation or to purchase a tourism experience for any day of the week."

Advert

People will be given $100 vouchers for accomodation and $50 towards a tourism experience.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Keeping the borders closed appears to be a growing trend across Australian states and territories as the threat of the coronavirus pandemic continues to affect our livelihoods.

Western Australia announced today (Tuesday, August 18) that it would delay relaxing its coronavirus restrictions by another two months.

Advert

The state has set a tentative date for October 24 to stop the two square metre rule on businesses and the 50 per cent capacity limit on large stadium venues.

Last week, the Northern Territory revealed it would be keeping its borders closed for another 18 months.

At the moment, people from hotspot areas like Victoria and Sydney have to go into two week quarantine at their own expense in order to enter the territory.

Health authorities reckon that measure won't be lifted for at least the next year and a half. So you can forget about that trip to Kakadu or Uluru for the time being, unless of course you don't mind spending two weeks in mandatory quarantine.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: covid-19-positive, News, Australia

Stewart Perrie
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Prince Philip's Funeral To Be Held On 17 April

2 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Macaulay Culkin Has Become A Father

9 hours ago