Victorian Police Have Handed Out $2.9 Million In Curfew Fines In The Past Month
In just one month, a whopping $2.9 million worth of fines have been handed out to Victorian for breaking curfew restrictions.
When Stage 4 measures were introduced on August 2, Melburnians were told to stay at home for as much as possible.
There was a nighttime curfew, exercise was limited to just once a day for only an hour, you couldn't see friends or family and masks became mandatory. People in the city weren't allowed 5kms outside their homes and they had to stay put between 8pm and 5am.
The ABC reports during the month of August there was 1,762 people who copped the $1,652 fine for breaking curfew. The biggest day for curfew fines came on August 17, with 89 infringements recorded.
Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Rick Nugent said: "A common theme around breaching of the curfew direction is people going out to get takeaway food."
More Like ThisMore Like This
Plenty of people have been caught out trying to nab a cheeky bit of fast food after the sun had set, even though they could have just got it delivered to their door. Cops have been dismayed at the raft of reasons people have given for why they were outside after curfew.
Police have been out in force during Stage 3 and 4, with hundreds of officers tasked with patrolling the streets to ensure people where only outside for a proper reason.
Victorian Police have confirmed an incredible 5,800 fines have been handed to people across the state since the harsher restrictions kicked into gear at the beginning of last month. Nine hundred of those fines were given to people who weren't wearing a mask, which is $200 each.
That's an incredible $181,000 in just one month.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is tipped to outline what the future for Melbourne and the state will look like on Sunday.
He will give a roadmap for residents on when they can expect Stage 3 and 4 restrictions to be rolled back, but don't expect it to happen instantly.
Featured Image Credit: PA