David Bowie's 'Blackstar' Is The Best Selling Vinyl Of The Year So Far
| Last updated
Lead Image Credit: PA
Earlier this week Nielsen published their mid-year study on album sales. Unsurprisingly, sales are declining in every format, except vinyl, which continues its revitalisation.
Sales of vinyl are up 11%, and the most sought after record of the year is the late David Bowie's last studio album, Blackstar.
It was released on 8th January this year, just two days before he passed away.
To date, Blackstar has moved an impressive 57,000 units in the format. To put that into context, the album has already sold more than last year's most popular items, apart from Adele's 25 and Taylor Swift's 1989.
This year, 25 has already sold an impressive 36,000 units.
Here is the full list of Nielsen's top selling vinyl albums of 2016 so far:
1. David Bowie, Blackstar (57,000)
2. Adele, 25 (36,000)
3. Twenty One Pilots, Blurryface (31,000)
4. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black (27,000)
5. Bob Marley & The Wailers, Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers (23,000)
6. Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly (22,000)
7. The Beatles, Abbey Road (21,000)
8. Twenty One Pilots, Vessel (20,000)
9. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (19,000)
10. The Lumineers, Cleopatra (19,000)
Words by Matthew Cooper
Topics: David Bowie