An American who survived the horrific attack on the World Trade Centre towers on 11 September 2001 was killed yesterday in the terrorist attack in Nairobi, Kenya.
Jason Spindler was employed as an analyst for the Salomon Brothers investment bank when two aeroplanes struck the World Trade Centre Towers on 9/11. He was killed yesterday during the attack on a luxury hotel in the Kenyan capital when terrorists stormed the building with grenades, guns, and a bomb.
Mr Spindler was enjoying lunch in the café at the bottom of the hotel, as he often did, when the attackers struck.
The incident lasted for 20 hours and saw lengthy periods of gunfire between the terrorists and the Kenyan security forces before all five of the attackers were 'eliminated', according to Kenyan officials.
Spindler had been living and working in Nairobi as the CEO of I-DEV International, a management and investment company based in the city.
He was born and raised in Texas and worked in New York City for many years. After the WTC attacks in September 2001 he left the city to join up with the Peace Corps.
He was committed to helping out in the developed world, and later devoted himself to helping technology and finance develop in less established markets. This brought him to Nairobi.
His death was confirmed by his brother Jonathan on Tuesday. He said: "It's with a heavy heart that I announce that my brother, Jason, passed away this morning during a terror attack in Nairobi.
"Jason was a survivor of 9/11 and a fighter. I am sure he gave them hell.
"There are no words to describe how our family is feeling but I can say... Jason Spindler, you are and always will be an amazing son, brother and uncle.
"Rest in peace - we will miss you dearly."
The US State Department said: "We can confirm that a US citizen was killed in the attack. We offer our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of this individual.
"Out of respect for the family of the deceased, we have no further comment,"
Kenyan authorities have so far confirmed that 14 people were killed in the attack, which has been claimed by the Somali militant group Al Shabaab.
Also amongst those killed was a British citizen, who has not been named.
A spokesperson for the Foreign Office said: "We are supporting the family of a British man killed in the recent terrorist attack in Kenya.
"We are also supporting a British person who was wounded during the attack and is receiving medical attention.
"We stand ready to help any other British people affected."
Featured Image Credit: Facebook