To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Lawsuits against Travis Scott, Live Nation and others involved in the recent Astroworld tragedy are continuing to mount up, with Complex reporting that - as of Tuesday afternoon - there have been at least 32 filed through the Harris County District Clerk.
Eight people died and scores more were injured during a large crowd surge at the music festival at Houston's NRG Park stadium complex on Friday 5 November.
Scott had been performing on stage at the time, and has since been accused of 'inciting' the crowd.
Rolling Stone reported yesterday that the number of lawsuits filed since the weekend amounted to at least 19.
However, according to Complex, this has now soared to at least 32, with screenshots from the Harris Country District Clerk's website showing just how many people have filed suits.
One such person to have done so is Manuel Souza, who was among the many wounded during the concert.
Souza has decided to sue the rapper and the concert organisers over what he's alleged was a 'predictable and preventable tragedy'.
In documents filed at Harris County District Court, he claims the tragedy at Astroworld was the result of 'a motivation for profit at the expense of concertgoers' health and safety and the 'encouragement of violence'.
Souza's lawsuit argues that the writing was on the wall earlier in the day after 'concertgoers breached a security gate around the park, stampeded into the premises, and trampled over one another'.
The concertgoer said organisers 'made the conscious decision to let the show go on, despite the extreme risk of harm to concertgoers that was escalating by the moment', even as an ambulance was brought to help those injured in the crush.
The complainant wrote: "This kind of behaviour has long been encouraged by the festival's founder and main performer.
"His express encouragement of violence has previously resulted in serious violence at numerous past concerts."
Souza's attorney, Steve Kherkher, has alleged that Scott, Live Nation and ScoreMore 'failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner' and 'they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviours'.
"Eventually, due to defendants' active decision to let the show go on, the scene devolved into a complete melee, resulting in the needless, untimely death of at least 8 people and injuries to scores of others," he wrote.
The lawsuit will be trying to prove in court that the defendants are guilty of negligence and gross negligence. They are seeking at least $1 million in damages.
Lawyer Alex Hilliard, who has also filed two negligence claims with Robert Hillard and Ben Crump, told Rolling Stone that he expects the lawsuits to continue coming in thick and fast.
"There will be hundreds of plaintiffs by Friday, if not thousands," he told the outlet.
"I have one client who gave a stranger CPR for an hour before anybody even got to him. Obviously, by the time medical personnel got there, it was too late. He said, 'I can heal from a broken arm, but I'll never heal from this'. This is such a unique, rare and unprecedented case."