Two Members Of The Public Killed In London Bridge Stabbing
Two members of the public have died following the London Bridge terror attack.
The Metropolitan Police were called to reports of a stabbing earlier this afternoon.
Earlier this evening, they stated that the suspect was shot dead at the scene and that several people were also injured.
However, it has now emerged that two people have tragically died as a result of the shocking attack in the capital.
Speaking at a press conference earlier today, Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations Neil Basu, said: "I can confirm that at approximately 2pm today, Friday, 29 November, police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge, EC1.
"Emergency services attended, including officers from the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police.
"A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.
I'm A Celeb Fans Fuming After Show 'Ruins' Christmas For Kids When Contestants Discuss Santa
Praise Floods In For London Bridge Terror Attack Heroes
Snoop Dogg Appears On Chat Show - Gives Everyone Weed
Greta Thunberg Awarded Author Of The Year By Waterstones For Collection Of Speeches
"A number of other people received injuries during the incident and as soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to those anxiously awaiting news from loved ones."
He went on to add: "I am now in a position to confirm that it has been declared a terrorist incident. We are working jointly with the City of London Police as we continue to respond.
"Officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are now leading this investigation. I must stress, however, that we retain an open mind as to any motive. It would not be appropriate to speculate further at this time.
"Due to reports that the suspect may have had an explosive device, specialist officers also attended the scene and wide cordons are in place to ensure there remains no further danger to the public.
"However, I can confirm that at this time, we believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device. Officers continue to carry out meticulous searches in the area to ensure there is no outstanding threat to the public."
Following the incident, the country's leading politicians shared their reactions.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn offered his condolences to the victims, writing: "Shocking reports from London Bridge. My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident. Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding."
Praising the first responders for their bravery, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge.
"This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families."
Anyone who may have footage or images of the incident is asked to send them to police via: www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk
Featured Image Credit: PA