Baby Dies In Hot Car After Dad 'Forgets About Her'
A baby has died in the US after being left in a hot car when her dad 'forgot' about her.
Police in Nashville, Tennessee, say the baby's dad - who is reported to have recently adopted her - forgot to drop off the one-year-old at nursery on Wednesday morning.
The girl's mother is reported to have found the baby in the car seat in the pickup truck, outside their home, ABC reports.
She was rushed to hospital but was tragically pronounced dead.
According to the Metro police, the dad 'forgot about the child' after dropping off her sibling. Police have since said they are investigating the incident.
In a post on Twitter Metro Nashville Police Department wrote: "One-year-old girl dies after being left in a car seat all day in a pickup truck parked at the family's East Nashville home.
"Adoptive father reportedly forgot about the child after dropping off her sibling at daycare.
"Adoptive mother found the girl at Virginia Ave home this evening.
"She was pronounced deceased upon arrival at Vanderbilt Hospital. Investigation will continue through the night."
Nashville has currently been hit with a heatwave, with highs on Wednesday of 31C (89F), however, inside the truck, with the windows closed temperatures could have soared to around 48C (120F).
Authorities in the state have previously issued advice to parents, after it was found that Tennessee is in the US's top 10 states for child deaths in hot cars. Website noheatstroke.org found that between 1998 and 2018 25 children have died as a result of being left in a hot car.
According to the Tennessean, authorities have said parents should place a shoe or handbag in the back of their car, alongside the car seat, as a simple way to remind them there is a child in the back.
Earlier this month, a mum from Texas was sentenced to 20 years in prison after she was found guilty placing her two children - aged one and two - in a car on a hot day as a 'punishment for misbehaving'.
Cynthia Marie Randolph initially told cops the two babies had 'taken off' and she couldn't find them, before later admitting that she had left them in to 'teach them a lesson', believing they would be able to get out if it got too hot. Tragically, this wasn't the case and both the babies died of heat stroke.
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/Metro Nashville PD
Topics: US News