Boris Johnson Says 'Difficult Months' Are Yet To Come
Prime Minister Boris Johnson says 'difficult months' are ahead as we battle the spread of coronavirus.
In an address to the nation, he said: "We must rely on our willingness to look out for each other, to protect each other. Never in our history has our collective destiny and our collective health depended so completely on our individual behaviour.
"If we follow these simple rules together, we will get through this winter together. There are unquestionably difficult months to come. And the fight against Covid is by no means over. I have no doubt, however, that there are great days ahead.
"But now is the time for us all to summon the discipline, and the resolve, and the spirit of togetherness that will carry us through."
He added: "The struggle against Covid is the single biggest crisis the world has faced in my lifetime.
"Here in the UK we mourn every person we have lost, and we grieve with their families. And yet I am more certain than ever that this is a struggle that humanity will win, and we in this country will win."
Earlier today, Johnson announced a range of new coronavirus restrictions for England amid a surge in cases across the UK.
However, he was keen to emphasise that the measures were 'by no means a return to the full lockdown of March' - and a LADbible poll of 17,520 people found that 58.2 percent of respondents feel Johnson was right to stop short of a total lockdown:
More Like ThisMore Like This
While we may not have resumed a full scale lockdown at this stage, a number of tighter rules will come into effect over the coming days.
From tomorrow, face coverings must be worn in taxis. From Thursday, hospitality venues must close by 10pm, provide table service only and customers must wear masks when walking around the premises.
Retail staff must also wear face coverings, indoor sports in groups of more than six will be banned, and fines for breaching the rule of six will double to £200 for first time offenders. And from Monday, weddings will be limited to a maximum of 15 people.
People have also been told to work from home where possible and the planned reintroduction of spectators in sports venues next month has been scrapped.
If these measures fail to bring the R number below one - the point at which the epidemic is no longer growing - Johnson said 'we reserve the right to deploy greater fire power with significantly greater restrictions'. He added that the new rules could be in place for six months if progress isn't made.
He said: "We will spare no effort in developing vaccines, treatments, new forms of mass-testing, but unless we palpably make progress we should assume that the restrictions that I have announced will remain in place for perhaps six months."
Speaking last week, Johnson said a second full lockdown would be an 'economic disaster' and 'completely wrong for this country'.
Featured Image Credit: BBC
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read