Boris Johnson Has Been Discharged From Hospital
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been discharged from hospital, Number 10 has confirmed.
In a statement, a spokesperson said he would not be returning to work immediately and would be recuperating at his country home.
It read: "The Prime Minister has been discharged from hospital to continue his recovery, at Chequers.
"On the advice of his medical team, the Prime Minister will not be immediately returning to work.
"He wishes to thank everybody at St Thomas' for the brilliant care he has received.
"All of his thoughts are with those affected by this illness."
It comes a week after the 55-year-old was admitted to the hospital with continuing symptoms of Covid-19.
In a statement issued yesterday (11 April), Mr Johnson thanked the NHS staff for their 'exemplary' work.
He said: "I can't thank them enough. I owe them my life."
More Like ThisMore Like This
At the time of his admission to hospital, a spokesperson for No.10 said it was a precautionary measure. However, his condition deteriorated during the week and he was moved to an intensive care unit.
A spokesperson then explained: "Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.
"The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary. The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication."
On Thursday (9 April), it was announced that Mr Johnson had been moved out of intensive care and was back on a hospital ward, where he would receive 'close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery'.
A statement from No. 10 at the time said of the Prime Minister: "He is in extremely good spirits."
Yesterday, the UK government announced that 19 health workers have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus.
Speaking to Sky News, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said a full investigation would be carried out to see how working on the front line of the virus may have affected those health workers' safety.
While he stated he was not aware of any link between lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the deaths, Mr Hancock said PPE was a 'precious resource'.
He said: "My heart goes out to their families... the fact that such a high proportion are from people that moved to this country to work for the NHS is really heart-rending... to see people who have literally given their lives for the NHS who were moved here to give that service and I think we should pay tribute to them."
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read