Chinese Coronavirus Hospital Is Almost Finished After Six Days Of Construction
New images show that a hospital being built in China to treat victims of the new strain of coronavirus has almost been completed after just six days.
Thousands of labourers have been working round the clock to complete the new building in Wuhan, which will be used in a bid to stop the spread of the deadly virus. It will open to patients on 3 February - just 12 days after work began.
More than 4,000 workers and 1,000 vehicles have been used to build the Huoshenshan Hospital which is in the city that is thought to be the virus' ground zero.
Aerial shots show the progress made in just over one week, with all the drainage completed and the hospital looking almost finished. The site, which was first supposed to be a holiday park, has been thrown up with pre-fabricated pieces for speed and efficiency.
Another medical centre was opened yesterday - just 48 hours after it was started. Workers and volunteers in Huanggang City managed to put the work in to get the doors open on the Dabie Mountain Regional Medical Centre, which will provide treatment for around 1,000 patients, in just 48 hours.
This facility, one of four emergency treatment bases being established by the authorities, was converted from an empty building.
The Huanggang City authorities said that the work that was completed so quickly was thanks to the combined efforts of construction staff, paramilitary police officers, and utility companies.
More Like ThisMore Like This
The revamping works started on Saturday after the go-ahead to convert the place into a facility for containing the spread of the coronavirus on Friday.
By Monday, they had water, power, and internet installed and were practically ready for the arrival of patients.
The virus, which so far has reached a death toll of 132, is now being treated as an international emergency, according to the World Health Organisation, with two cases being confirmed by The Department of Health in the UK this morning.
Update on #Coronavirus:@CMO_England statement on two confirmed cases in England.
:arrow_forward: https://t.co/lAQUTk8qm4 pic.twitter.com/7p77OihKmv
- Department of Health and Social Care (@DHSCgovuk) January 31, 2020
Professor Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England, said: "We can confirm that two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for coronavirus.
"The patients are receiving specialist NHS care, and we are using tried and tested infection control procedures to prevent further spread of the virus.
"The NHS is extremely well-prepared and used to managing infections and we are already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to prevent further spread.
"We have been preparing for UK cases of novel coronavirus and we have robust infection control measures in place to respond immediately.
"We are continuing to work closely with the World Health Organisation and the international community as the outbreak in China develops to ensure we are ready for all eventualities."
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read