David Beckham Banned From Driving For Six Months
David Beckham has been banned from driving for six months, a court has heard.
The retired footballer appeared at Bromley Magistrates' Court earlier today and received six points on his licence, according to the Press Association.
PA tweeted: "David Beckham has been disqualified for six months at Bromley Magistrates' Court after receiving six points for driving his Bentley while using a mobile phone in London's West End."
The 43-year-old admitted using a mobile phone while he was driving along Great Portland Street on 21 November.
According to reports, the case had originally been dealt with by Lavender Hill Magistrates' Court last month, however, it was postponed until a later date when the ex-England star could attend.
Speaking at the previous hearing, a member of court staff said: "The magistrates requested more information - either the circumstances in which it happened or they think they don't have enough information about the charge to make an informed decision."
Scotland Yard had previously confirmed that the former Manchester United midfielder had pleaded guilty by post.
Beckham has been criticised in the past for seeming to avoid punishment for motoring offences.
More Like This
Last year he was reported for driving a loaned Bentley at 59mph in a 40mph zone in west London in January last year.
However, enlisting the services of the famed solicitor Nick Freeman - known more commonly as 'Mr Loophole' - Becks didn't face further action because a notice of intended prosecution (NIP) was not received until one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.
District Judge Barbara Barnes said a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) was sent on February 2 and should have arrived at Bentley Motors Ltd by February 6.
However, the judge said she was satisfied with the evidence that heard the letter didn't actually arrive until February 7, one day outside the statutory 14-day window.
In a summary she said the 'vagaries' of the postal system were allowed by the law to be taken into account.
She said: "What I find is the fact it did not arrive in the post room of Bentley Motors Ltd until 7 February and therefore was one day outside the legal limit.
"The defendant in this case cannot be convicted."
The millionaire was sent another NIP for his latest incident, for which he was charged on 5 February, according to court staff.
Mr Freeman also helped the father-of-four overturn an eight-month driving ban in 1999.
Featured Image Credit: PA