Advert

Latest

Naked Cleaning Company Owner Says Business Is Booming After Lockdown
published atin 27 minutes
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Girl Could Be Left Blind In One Eye After Microwaved Eggs Exploded In Her Face

Girl Could Be Left Blind In One Eye After Microwaved Eggs Exploded In Her Face

A woman has warned against microwaving eggs to boil them after she was left blind in one eye after an egg exploded in her face.

Bethany Rosser, 22, was making eggs for breakfast last Tuesday after Googling whether you can boil eggs in the microwave. A quick search brings up many supposedly tried and tested methods to do it, so Bethany, from Redditch, had no reservations.

Bethany Rosser read instructions on microwaving eggs online. Credit: SWNS
Bethany Rosser read instructions on microwaving eggs online. Credit: SWNS

As per the advice on cooking site Delish, she read it was safe to microwave eggs in water, without them bursting, as long as you add salt.

Advert

Following their instructions, she cooked the shelled eggs for six minutes at 600W, then took them out of the microwave to cool.

Checking them in the jug, she removed them when unexpectedly, the eggs exploded in her face, burning the whole side of her face and leaving her unable to see out of her right eye.

The eggs exploded in Bethany's face when she removed them from the microwave. Credit: SWNS
The eggs exploded in Bethany's face when she removed them from the microwave. Credit: SWNS

She said: "I Googled to see if you could make boiled eggs in the microwave.

Advert

"There are endless websites and YouTube videos which say you can. The one I read, though, was the set of instructions on Delish.

"It said that you could microwave the eggs as long as you add salt to the eggs in the water, to prevent them from bursting.

"The instructions then said to leave the eggs in the microwave for between six and eight minutes. Being cautious, I did six and took them out.

"As I looked into the jug to see if the eggs were done, they went bang in my face.

Advert

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Teen Girl Gets Lead Stuck In Her Eye After Classmate Throws Pencil
News

Teen Girl Gets Lead Stuck In Her Eye After Classmate Throws Pencil

"It only happened as I took them out. The eggs were fine in the microwave."

Bethany called 999 and was taken to the burns unit at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. Before paramedics arrived, her skin was already starting to peel away.

Bethany was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, for treatment. Credit: SWNS
Bethany was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, for treatment. Credit: SWNS

She was kept in overnight and had treatment including wet bandages, which were kept on her face.

Advert

Doctors still aren't sure if the damage to her right eye is permanent. She added: "My eye has started to open and I can see, but it's very blurry."

She's been warned that she will have long term discolouration on her face, but that she shouldn't be left with any scars.

Bethany could be permanently blinded in her right eye. Credit: SWNS
Bethany could be permanently blinded in her right eye. Credit: SWNS

Bethany said: "As I splashed myself with water, I could see my skin peeling off.

Advert

"It felt horrible, I was in total agony. I could feel my skin burning for hours afterwards - even while it was being treated in hospital.

"It felt like my skin was being ripped off, it was so scary.

"I've never been so scared in my life - I was shaking and crying. The accident was, without doubt, the worst day of my life to date."

It's recommended that the best way to boil eggs is using a pan and hot water on the hob.

LADbible has approached Delish for comment

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: uk news

Amelia Ward

Amelia is a journalist at LADbible. After studying journalism at Liverpool John Moores and Salford Uni (don't ask), she went into PR and then the world of music. After a few years working on festivals and events, she went back to her roots. In her spare time, Amelia likes music, Liverpool FC, and spending good, quality time with her cat, Paul. You can contact Amelia at [email protected]