• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

UK Government Announces New NHS App For Contact Tracing Is In Development

Dominic Smithers

Published 
| Last updated 

UK Government Announces New NHS App For Contact Tracing Is In Development

The UK government has announced a new NHS app for contact tracing is being developed to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

During today's daily coronavirus briefing, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Today, I wanted to outline the next step, a new NHS app for contact tracing.

"If you become unwell with the symptoms of coronavirus you can securely tell this new NHS app.

"The app will then send an alert anonymously to other app users you've been in significant contact with over the last few days, even before you've had symptoms, so that they know and they can act accordingly."

Adding: "We are already testing this app."

However, he was unable to expand on the number of deaths of NHS workers from Covid-19, adding: "I don't have an update on the figure of 19 NHS staff that have died but we are looking into each circumstance as much as possible to find out how they picked up the virus and making sure we learn as much as we can and therefore protecting our health workers as much as we can."

Mr Hancock announced a new NHS contact tracing app was being developed. Credit: PA
Mr Hancock announced a new NHS contact tracing app was being developed. Credit: PA

This comes as it was announced that the UK's coronavirus death toll has now passed 10,612 as of 5pm yesterday (11 April), according to figures released by the Department of Health and Social Care. 737 people have died over the 24 hour period since yesterday's update.

The number of confirmed cases has also risen to 84,279 as of 9am this morning (12 April).

Earlier today, Prime Minister Boris Johnson thanked the nation for the efforts they've been making in the fight against the virus.

In a video shared on his Twitter feed, he said: "I want to thank everyone in the entire UK for the effort and the sacrifice you have made and are making.

"When the sun is out and the kids are at home, when the whole natural world seems at its loveliest and the outdoors is so inviting, I can only imagine how tough it has been to follow the rules on social distancing."

Johnson added: "I want you to know that this Easter Sunday I do believe that your efforts are worth it.

"Because although we mourn every day those who are taken from us in such numbers, and though the struggle is by no means over, we are now making progress in this incredible national battle against coronavirus."

This followed news that Mr Johnson had been discharged from St Thomas' hospital after having been admitted last week with continuing symptoms of Covid-19.

In a statement, a spokesperson said he would not be returning to work immediately and would be recuperating at his country home.

It read: "The Prime Minister has been discharged from hospital to continue his recovery, at Chequers.

"On the advice of his medical team, the Prime Minister will not be immediately returning to work.

"He wishes to thank everybody at St Thomas' for the brilliant care he has received.

"All of his thoughts are with those affected by this illness."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: UK News, Interesting, Coronavirus, Health

Dominic Smithers
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Expert explains how often you should be pooing in a day

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Woman will have her corpse dissected on television in 'world first' tonight

8 hours ago