US President Joe Biden has rescinded the national emergency order that allowed Donald Trump to fund the wall along the country's southern border with Mexico.
Back in 2019, Trump had declared a state of emergency over the border, which in turn allowed him to bypass Congress and use military funds for the construction of the controversial wall.
USA Today reports that, under the emergency declaration signed in February 2019, Trump had been able to divert $600 million from the Treasury Department and $6.1 billion from the Defense Department to the Department of Homeland Security for border wall construction.
Trump then continued the proclamation in February 2020, which allowed him to divert $3.8 billion from the Pentagon for construction.
However, in a letter to Congress today, Biden wrote that the order was 'unwarranted', adding that no further tax dollars would be spent on the wall.
"I have determined that the declaration of a national emergency at our southern border was unwarranted," Biden told congressional leaders in the letter.
"I have also announced that it shall be the policy of my Administration that no more American taxpayer dollars be diverted to construct a border wall, and that I am directing a careful review of all resources appropriated or redirected to that end."
Building a wall along the US-Mexico border was one of Trump's key pledges during his 2016 presidential campaign.
According to the BBC, when Trump left office, about $25bn (£18bn) had been spent on the project.
Following Biden's announcement, Arizona Democratic Congressman Raul Grivalva said on Twitter: "Trump's national emergency was never about security.
"Now we must cancel the contracts and ensure that not another foot of the border wall is constructed."
Biden has already taken several steps to reverse his predecessor's legacy, but not not all elements of immigration policy from the Trump administration will be removed just yet.
At a press conference on Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said people coming to the US seeking asylum from Mexico will likely be turned away, citing the coronavirus pandemic as a reason.
She said: "Due to the pandemic and the fact that we have not had the time, as an administration, to put in place a humane, comprehensive process for processing individuals who are coming to the border.
"Now is not the time to come, and the vast majority of people will be turned away."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read