Advert

Latest

Man Who Tweeted Saying He Was 'Not OK' Receives Over 100,000 Replies
published atin 33 minutes
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Man Dies After Eating Too Much Black Liquorice

Man Dies After Eating Too Much Black Liquorice

A man in America has died after eating too much liquorice, with doctors saying he ate his way through one-and-a-half bags daily.

A report in the New England Journal of Medicine explains how the 54-year-old construction worker from Massachusetts suffered no symptoms before he suddenly went into cardiac arrest in a fast food restaurant.

Emergency medical technicians (EMTs) arrived at the scene around four minutes later and found that he was suffering from ventricular fibrillation, an abnormal heart rhythm that leaves the heart unable to effectively pump blood.

The EMTs performed CPR and administered electric shocks to the man's chest, before taking him to hospital.

Advert
Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Medics tried to rectify his heart rhythm, but the patient remained in a critical condition, with tests revealing he had abnormally low levels of potassium in his blood, and elevated levels of potassium in his urine.

Having been placed on a ventilator, the man had unstable blood pressure and went into kidney failure.

Sadly, around 32 hours later, he passed away.

Advert

In the case report, the team from Massachusetts General Hospital described how the man - who has not been named - regularly ate large quantities of black liquorice.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Man Dies After Consuming Too Much Caffeine

Unlike red liquorice, the black variant contains glycyrrhizic acid - which is what doctors say was to blame.

"A 54-year-old man was evaluated at the hospital after cardiac arrest associated with ventricular fibrillation," the report said.

Credit: Flickr/petur r
Credit: Flickr/petur r
Advert

"The patient had been in a fast-food restaurant when he gasped suddenly and lost consciousness. Emergency medical services personnel arrived, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was initiated. A diagnosis was made."

Dr Elazer Edelman said: "We are told that this patient has a poor diet and eats a lot of candy. Could his illness be related to candy consumption?"

Dr Edelman added that studies had shown glycyrrhizic acid could cause 'hypertension, hypokalemia [what happens when someone's potassium levels in their blood become dangerously low], metabolic alkalosis, fatal arrhythmias, and renal failure', all of which were seen in this patient.

Dr Andrew Lundquist, also agreed in the report that liquorice was the root of the problem.

Advert

He wrote: "Further investigation revealed a recent change to a liquorice-containing candy as the likely cause of his hypokalemia."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Food, News, US News, Health

Jess Hardiman

Jess is a journalist at LADbible who graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics - indecisiveness at its finest, right there. She also works for FOODbible and its sister page Seitanists, which are both a safe haven for her to channel a love for homemade pasta, fennel and everything else in between. You can contact Jess at [email protected]