Man Found Dead After Suspected Electric Shock From Using Headphones Connected To Charging Phone
The body of Supakhet Saraboon, 35, was found in his bedroom in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, central Thailand, on Monday night.
Sprawled across his bed, he had headphones in his ears that connected to a smartphone. This was also plugged into an extension cable attached to the mains.
It is believed that Saraboon had been at football training that night, before returning home.
Surawat Sukpanya, his close neighbour, said his friend loved sports, and would usually play football with a local team every evening.
Sukpanya, 36, realised something was wrong when Saraboon didn't answer any of his texts.
He and another neighbour ended up having to break into Saraboon's house, which was when they made the grim discovery.
Sukpanya explained: "We had not heard from him for more than three days, which was unusual.
"His ex-girlfriend then texted me to visit him, so I went to his house and found no one.
"Another neighbour and I decided to break into his house, then we found him dead."
After finding the body, Sukpanya contacted the emergency services, who arrived and checked the scene before taking the body away.
At the time, rescue workers suspected Sarabeen had been electrocuted after listening to headphones connected to his charging smartphone.
More Like ThisMore Like This
They later sent his body to the hospital for a post-mortem examination, where his cause of death was confirmed.
Confirming the victim had been found dead, Police Colonel Surapong Thammapitak, the Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya police chief, said: "There are no suspects involved with the death, so we believe it is an accident caused by the phone.
"People need to be careful when they are using headphones and charging their phone at the same time."
Saraboon's death follows countless similar fatalities in the country, including that of factory worker Kritsada Supol, 24.
Supol had laid down on his mattress in Chonburi, Thailand, with his phone plugged into an extension power point using a cheap charging cable.
It is believed that he had been listening to music or talking to someone as the mic section of the earphones was resting over his lips.
The property owner visited the room on Sunday 3 February and found Kritsada's body on the mattress with signs of burning around his ears.
Police Captain Jaleuk Polthong said police believed Kritsada was fatally electrocuted while using the earphones and charging his smartphone at the same time.
The captain said: "We believe a short circuit caused his death while he was on the phone with someone or he was listening to music."
Blaming a poor quality charger for the death, Captain Polthong added: "Many people could be in danger if they use cheap charging adapters which are not manufactured from the authorised company.
"It looks like the victim was electrocuted but the body will be sent for an autopsy to confirm the exact cause of death."
Featured Image Credit: Viral Press
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read