• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Man 'Lucky To Be Alive' After Trying To Use Stun Gun As A Shaver

Dominic Smithers

| Last updated 

Man 'Lucky To Be Alive' After Trying To Use Stun Gun As A Shaver

A man is 'lucky to be alive' after trying to use a stun gun as a shaver.

Mohammed Khan, of Roland Road in Deane, Bolton, claimed that he bought the device from a stranger round the back of a takeaway and had 'no idea' what it really was.

The 26-year-old appeared at Bolton Crown Court and pleaded guilty to possession of a weapon.

He told the court that he was 'approached by a stranger' at the 'back of a takeaway', who 'sold him a box with an electric shaver and charger'.

Khan then returned home, where he says he 'plugged in' the device and 'tried to shave' with it.

Fortunately, however, he did not suffer a shock.

Credit: Reach
Credit: Reach

Prosecuting, Eleanor Gleeson said: "Mr Khan says the device did not charge up, so he put the device in a drawer and forgot all about it.

"He says that he did not realise the prongs were part of a stun gun as he had never seen one before and that if he had known the device was a stun gun he would have acted differently."

The stun gun was discovered at Khan's home on 1 May 2020 by Greater Manchester Police's Tactical Aid Unit.

According to reports, officers found what they said appeared to be a 'taser and charger in a bedroom drawer'.

Cops confiscated the device and it was later found by forensic investigators to be a stun gun.

Stun guns such as this boast a voltage range of one to 25 kilovolts, however, it's not clear how many volts Khan's gun contained.

Credit: Reach
Credit: Reach

The court heard that police noted Khan was 'lucky to be alive, because forensics proved the device did charge correctly to be a viable device'.

Defending, Stuart Neale said Khan thought that the stun gun was just a 'piece of plastic'.

It was heard that he had recently suffered a stroke and is now 'primarily housebound', receiving 'round the clock care'.

Mr Neale told the court that Khan's health meant he would not be able to carry out unpaid work as part of his punishment.

He said: "It is thought that the stress of this put his blood pressure through the roof and brought the stroke on.

"He has got no money and is being supported by his family."

Judge Martin Walsh agreed that Khan was 'unfit to undertake any unpaid work and is of no financial means at the moment'.

Khan was handed a conditional discharge of two years from today's date (6 July).

Featured Image Credit: Reach

Topics: Police, crime, Technology, court

Dominic Smithers
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Security guards with machine guns fire at Somali pirates trying to attack ship

2 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Dad jailed for 22 months while would-be burglars 'escape justice' thanks public for support

3 hours ago