Advert

Met Police Faces Watchdog Investigation Over Sarah Everard Case

Published 
| Last updated 

Met Police Faces Watchdog Investigation Over Sarah Everard Case

The Met Police faces a watchdog investigation over its handling of allegations of indecent exposure made before an officer was arrested on suspicion of murder in the Sarah Everard case.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it will examine how officers responded after receiving a report that a man had exposed himself at a fast food restaurant in south London on 28 February - three days before Sarah's disappearance.

The Met Police will be investigated over its handling of indecent exposure allegations made against the arrested officer. Credit: Met Police
The Met Police will be investigated over its handling of indecent exposure allegations made against the arrested officer. Credit: Met Police

The IOPC will also look into how the arrested man, who is in his 40s and works with the Met's Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, sustained injuries while in custody, having been taken to hospital with head injuries yesterday (Thursday 11 March).

Advert

Police said he sustained the injuries while alone in his cell.

Sarah was last seen in Clapham at about 9.30pm on 3 March.

The officer was arrested on Tuesday (9 March) and human remains were found by police searching for the 33-year-old the following day.

Police have found human remains in the search for Sarah. Credit: PA
Police have found human remains in the search for Sarah. Credit: PA
Advert

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said: "This evening, detectives and search teams investigating Sarah's disappearance have found very sadly what appears to be human remains.

"The discovery was made in an area of woodland in Ashford in Kent. As you can imagine, at this early stage we are not able to confirm any identity and, indeed, that may take us some considerable time."

Sarah was walking home from a friend's house when she was last seen - a journey that should have taken her just 50 minutes.

Her family had said it was 'totally out of character' for her to go missing.

Advert

The case has prompted an outpouring of anger and sadness and a vigil had been organised in remembrance of Sarah, to take place on Saturday 13 March.

However, the Met Police have now said that the Reclaim These Streets event will not be able to go ahead because of coronavirus restrictions.


The organisers have now said they plan to challenge the ban in the High Court.

Advert

In a statement, they said: "Our lawyers have now written to the Metropolitan Police, challenging the Metropolitan Police's interpretation of coronavirus legislation, when taken together with the human rights act.

"Should the judge decide in our favour, our Clapham vigil will be allowed to go ahead."

Featured Image Credit: Met Police

Topics: Police, UK News, crime

Jake Massey
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Boris Johnson Announces That Covid-19 'Plan B' Will Be Implemented

7 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Boris Johnson Announces That Covid-19 'Plan B' Will Be Implemented

7 hours ago