Advert

Latest

a minute ago
Advert
37 minutes ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Boy Left With Metal Spring Embedded In His Back After Shocking Trampoline Accident

Boy Left With Metal Spring Embedded In His Back After Shocking Trampoline Accident

A schoolboy ended up with a huge metal spring embedded in his back after a horrific trampoline accident.

Twelve-year-old Jamie Quinlan was left with a spring stuck two inches (5cm) into his back after it shot off 'like a bullet' on Saturday 31 August.

Advert

His parents say the six inch long (15cm) metal spring was moving at around 70mph when it hit Jamie's back.

The spring became embedded in his back following a freak accident. Credit: SWNS
The spring became embedded in his back following a freak accident. Credit: SWNS

The boy had been playing on the trampoline at his friend's house when he felt a 'strange and heavy sensation' in his back before he collapsed in agony. The spring hit just centimetres away from his spine.

Now his parents Ian and Sandra are speaking out about the potential dangers of garden toys following the shocking incident.

Ian, 62, said: "It was a terrible thing to happen, and it really scared me.

Advert

"It could have happened to anyone. Jamie has been so brave.

"I want people to be aware of how dangerous trampolines can be if there's no cover on the springs, or if there's a gap.

"The spring had come off the trampoline like a bullet. If it had hit elsewhere on Jamie's body, in his head or throat, we could have lost him.

"Children are the most important things in our lives, so people need to be aware of the dangers in their own back garden."

Jamie, from Louth in Lincolnshire, was rushed to Sheffield Children's Hospital, where he had to undergo emergency surgery to remove the object.

Jamie Quinlan was rushed to hospital. Credit: SWNS
Jamie Quinlan was rushed to hospital. Credit: SWNS

Jamie said: "When I was in the waiting room at the hospital, I was really nervous.

"It took them about ten minutes to actually get the spring out of my back.

"The doctors said they had never heard of something like this happening with a trampoline.

"Sometimes it still feels like the spring is in my back, but I am getting a lot better and stronger now. I feel relieved that it wasn't worse."

Jamie was released from hospital on Monday (2 September) and is now recovering at home.

Ian added: "I just want to speak out to warn parents to check trampolines because one loose spring could be lethal."

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: uk news

Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at LADbible who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats. You can contact Claire at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Lionel Messi Higher Than Cristiano Ronaldo In 'Leaked' FIFA 20 Rankings

Lionel Messi Higher Than Cristiano Ronaldo In 'Leaked' FIFA 20 Rankings

4 months ago