Advert

Latest

26 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

7 hours ago
Advert

Mum In Coma After Developing Mystery Lung Illness 'From E-Cigarettes'

Mum In Coma After Developing Mystery Lung Illness 'From E-Cigarettes'

The latest in a string of potentially vape-related maladies, a mum of three had to be put in a coma after developing a lung illness and being found with blood clots on her lungs.

The woman, from Texas, was admitted to hospital after experiencing chest pains, nausea and unexpected weight loss. Doctors initially thought she was showing pre-pneumonia symptoms and prescribed her antibiotics.

Advert

Her symptoms began at the beginning of the year, as she had trouble keeping liquids down and also had a bad cough. Her weight dropped to 6.5 stone and at one stage she was so weak she could hardly move.

Two months ago, she was taken to A&E by her mum and struggled to breath.

Medics found that her lungs were inflamed, before treating her with the antibiotics.

Sherie was in hospital for three weeks. Credit: Facebook
Sherie was in hospital for three weeks. Credit: Facebook

With her symptoms getting no better, she had more tests, with the results showing she had blood clots on her lungs, as well as fluid.

Advert

The second time Sherie visited the hospital on 18 June, she was placed in a medically induced coma.

Speaking about her ordeal, Sherie told KTXS: "It was scary. I was praying and hoping that I woke up.

"You don't think about it. Everyone else is doing it. They're all OK. Everything's fine and then you're not.

"I was sent to the ICU on my middle son's 13th birthday and intubated on my 15-year-old son's birthday,"

She added: "I felt a lot of guilt and shame. I did this to myself."

Thankfully, she has made a full recovery and has vowed to spread the word about what she thinks of vaping.

Sherie has since made a full recovery and wants to educate people on the dangers of vaping. Credit: Facebook/Sherie Canada
Sherie has since made a full recovery and wants to educate people on the dangers of vaping. Credit: Facebook/Sherie Canada

In a post on Facebook, she wrote: "I am putting this out here publicly because I have seen so much of it lately and so many new cases since being out released from the hospital and I keep getting asked what exactly happened to me and why I was so sick?

"Some may or may not agree and that's okay but I was ashamed to say I was a vaper, that I voluntarily inhaled vapour into my lungs daily for about three years or so, I wasn't even a smoker before.

"I tried it and liked the flavours it had to offer and then got addicted to the nicotine in it. It wasn't until a few months before I got sick that I started noticing more weight loss, a bad cough and chest pains, along with it getting harder to breath or just short of breath faster!"

She added: "I am telling this story not for attention but to let others know the risk of inhaling things into your lungs, you have no idea of how precious they are until they aren't yours anymore and a machine is telling them to breath for you!"

The US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says it is investigating 380 confirmed or probable cases of lung illnesses tied to vaping, and advises against using any e-cigarette or vaping products. Most of the patients interviewed used both THC and nicotine liquids, while 20 percent used only nicotine.

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Sherie Canada

Topics: US News, vaping, Health

Amelia Ward

Amelia is a journalist at LADbible. After studying journalism at Liverpool John Moores and Salford Uni (don't ask), she went into the world of music. Quickly realising that you can't pay your bills with guestlist, she went back to her roots. In her spare time, Amelia likes music, Liverpool FC, and spending good, quality time with her cat, Paul. You can contact Amelia at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Ash Ketchum Is Finally A Pokémon League Champion After 22 Years

Ash Ketchum Is Finally A Pokémon League Champion After 22 Years

a month ago