• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Covid Curfew-Breaker In Philippines Dies After He Was 'Made To Do 300 Squats'

| Last updated 

Covid Curfew-Breaker In Philippines Dies After He Was 'Made To Do 300 Squats'

A man in the Philippines has died after he was allegedly forced to do 300 squats as punishment for breaching a Covid-19 curfew.

Darren Manaog Peñaredondo died in the city of General Trias, on the outskirts of the capital Manila, on Saturday (3 April), two days after he was caught buying a bottle of water after the 6pm curfew.

Peñaredondo's partner Reichelyn Balce claimed police made him and other rule-breakers perform 100 squats as punishment, but they were made to repeat the exercise if they didn't do it in unison.

He ultimately had to do 300 and the following day he was unable to stand because his legs were in so much pain.

He was unable to stand the next day. Credit: ViralPress
He was unable to stand the next day. Credit: ViralPress

Balce told Rappler: "He told me that they were brought to the Plaza Malabon in front of the municipal hall. And then, they were told to do pumping exercises 100 times.

"The enforcers also said that if they were not in sync, they would repeat it. He also told me he stumbled while doing the exercise.

"When he came home on Friday, around 8am, he was assisted by a fellow quarantine violator who was arrested with him.


"I asked if he was beaten up. He just smiled but it was obvious he was in pain."

The following day, while using the bathroom, Peñaredondo began having seizures. A neighbour gave him CPR and he regained consciousness, but he died later that night.

Colonel Marlo Nillo Solero, head of the local police, denied the family's allegations.

He told Rappler: "As to the claims of pumping [squats], we don't give such punishment. Instead, we conduct lectures."

Police have denied the allegations. Credit: ViralPress
Police have denied the allegations. Credit: ViralPress

General Trias mayor Antonio Ferrer said in a statement on Facebook that he had ordered police to conduct an investigation.

He said: "In connection with the unexpected passing of Mr Darren Manaog Peñaredondo, we immediately ordered the Chief of our police to conduct a fair investigation about the incident of arrest and his alleged torture.

"We have personally interacted with the family of Mr Peñaredondo to console and help in their needs.


"Let's hope that we have immediate clarity on the events and give peace of mind and will to the Peñaredondo family."

Featured Image Credit: ViralPress

Topics: Police, World News, lockdown, crime, Philippines

Jake Massey
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


KSI says he's going to fight two people in one night

6 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Former Pop Idol star Darius Campbell Danesh has died aged 41

9 hours ago