Police Investigating Man Who Used Flamethrower On Top Of A NYC Bus
A rapper is being investigated by police after he was recorded shooting a flamethrower off the top of a bus in New York City while filming a music video.
The scene, which was filmed earlier this month in Brooklyn, shows a man standing on top of a bus in what is said to be an unsanctioned stunt.
Videos posted on social media show a man on the top of an ice cream van, before he jumps on to the roof of a bus which had stopped at the intersection.
A crowd can be heard cheering as the man fires off the flamethrower. Some flammable liquid falls off the weapon on to the bus, briefly lighting up.
It has surfaced on social media after a police union posted in a now-deleted tweet about it being an example of how unsafe the city has become.
New York Police Department is now investigating the incident, which AP reports happened on 8 November.
The department's official Twitter account posted: "We are aware of a video circulating social media that shows a man using a flame thrower on top of a bus in Brooklyn.
"The incident is currently under investigation. We have the utmost confidence in our @NYPDDetectives that this case will be solved quickly."
We are aware of a video circulating social media that shows a man using a flame thrower on top of a bus in Brooklyn.
The incident is currently under investigation. We have the utmost confidence in our @NYPDDetectives that this case will be solved quickly. pic.twitter.com/KPnMlYJb1g
- NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) November 17, 2020
More Like ThisMore Like This
It appears that it's part of a tribute to legendary rappers Wu-Tang Clan. Local artist Dupree G.O.D posted about it on Instagram.
He said: "Wutang music video shoot was insane. It was a movie. It was f-king epic.
"Much everyone to all who came out (sic). We shut Franklin Avenue Down. With amazing energy. We are in this together. We The ILLest. Video coming."
Dupree, who also calls himself Flame G.O.D, posted drone footage that shows the stunt from above.
He had invited people to come and watch it in an earlier Instagram post. He offered ice cream, T-shirts and champagne to people who wanted to attend.
The city's Metropolitan Transportation Authority confirmed that 25 passengers on the bus got off at the next stop and were picked up by the next bus on the route. No injuries were reported.
MTA spokesperson Tim Minton said: "We don't even need to say how absurd, dangerous and just plain stupid this was.
"The reckless individual who torched over the top of an occupied bus put New Yorkers, including the bus operator, in life-threatening peril."
Featured Image Credit: Dupree GOD
Topics: US News
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read