Restaurant In Hot Water After Serving 86 Shots To Five Customers
A Korean restaurant in Australia is facing disciplinary action after it served a group of five 86 shots.
New South Wales police allege that Haru Fusion Soju Lounge, in Sydney, served the group 86 standard drinks of the spirit soju in the space of six hours. Two of the group were subsequently found passed out on the road and pavement outside the restaurant.
NSW Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority has imposed a strike against the eatery as part of the government's three strike disciplinary scheme, however further action is also being considered, such as shortening its trading hours.
The group of three men and two women were celebrating a birthday at the venue into the early hours of 11 October, with police arriving at 1.35am, finding one woman passed out in a pool of vomit and a man passed out nearby - also covered in vomit. The man was passed out in the road originally but was moved on to the pavement by road workers. The pair were subsequently taken to hospital in an ambulance.
CCTV footage from inside the restaurant shows one of the group collapsing into a table after losing his balance. A staff member can also be seen walking past one of the group as they sleep at a table and a passed out woman is seen being carried out of the restaurant.
More Like This
Philip Crawford, chairman of the NSW Liquor and Gaming Authority, said a range of sanctions may be imposed on the restaurant.
He said: "It is almost beyond belief that venue staff could serve such a large amount of alcohol to a group of five patrons and not take any steps to avoid extreme intoxication.
"The fact one of the patrons was passed out on the road highlights the risk of serious injury or death.
"The authority will consider imposing a range of special conditions on the venue's liquor licence, as well as winding back the venue's trading hours."
Soju is a clear spirit with a typical strength of around 20 percent - though it can be as strong as 50 percent. Mr Crawford said consuming the drink in such quantities could have potentially been 'life-threatening'.
According to ABC, he said: "It's a pretty serious amount of alcohol. The proof is in the pudding.
"This is a life-threatening incident which we just cannot tolerate. If they were unconscious from drinking too much alcohol, that's a serious breach of the responsible service of alcohol regulations."
Featured Image Credit: Pexels/Isabella Mendes