• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Rust Camera Crew Walked Off Set Hours Before Accidental Shooting

Published 
| Last updated 

Rust Camera Crew Walked Off Set Hours Before Accidental Shooting

It has emerged that the camera crew of the movie Rust opted to walk off set to protest working conditions just hours before Alec Baldwin's fatal misfire of a prop gun that tragically killed Halyna Hutchins.

It's being reported that the camera operators and assistants were unhappy with the way they were being treated on the low budget film-set, where complaints were issued about long hours and not being paid on time, as per Los Angeles Times.

According to three people who were 'familiar with the matter', safety protocols were not followed strictly enough.

They even allegedly said that at least one of the camera operators complained last week to a production manager about the lack of safety of a prop gun on set.

Advert

Santa Fe Sheriff's Office said deputies were called to the set at around 2.00pm local time following a 911 call that reported a shooting.

The incident occurred when Baldwin was holding a prop gun and accidentally discharged it.

Credit: Alamy
Credit: Alamy

Halyna Hutchins, director of photography, was killed and the film's director Joel Souza was injured.

Advert

"There should have been an investigation into what happened," a crew member said.

"There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn't happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush."

A colleague allegedly sent a text message to the unit production manager in regards to the lack of safety.

They allegedly wrote: "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.

Advert
 Pictured is the Bonanza Creek Ranch where an accident involving actor Alec Baldwin took place Friday afternoon on a movie set. Credit: Alamy
Pictured is the Bonanza Creek Ranch where an accident involving actor Alec Baldwin took place Friday afternoon on a movie set. Credit: Alamy

"Rust Movie Productions said in a statement: "The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company.

"Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down.

"We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time."

Advert

Baldwin, 63, spoke publicly for the first time yesterday (22 October) since the tragic accident.

He wrote on Twitter: "There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours.

"I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family.

"My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: US News

Anish Vij
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Gillian McKeith’s Daughter Reacts To News Her Mum Might Join I’m A Celebrity Again

an hour ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Entertainment

Ukraine Wins The 2022 Eurovision Song Contest

a day ago