• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

TikTok Poached Egg Hack Leaves Man With Burns All Over Face

| Last updated 

TikTok Poached Egg Hack Leaves Man With Burns All Over Face

A man from Scotland ended up the wrong side of a poached egg TikTok hack that caused major burns all over his face. Watch him explain below:

Warning - Article Contains Distressing Images.


Gary McDougall from Perth was faced with scalding burns across his eyes, cheek and nose after he tried to poach an egg in the microwave last week (Nov 4).


As shown in the clip, the 40-year-old explained that he's done the hack a 'million times', which involves cracking an egg into a cup and heating it for 40 seconds.

However, as he went to scoop the egg out of the cup, it exploded across his face and chest.

In the video, Gary said: "Have you ever tried to make poached eggs in a cup in the microwave?

"Well I've done it a hundred-million times and last night it didn't quite go to plan.

"This is not a TikTok for sympathy or to get any messages or that, I will get better soon. I'm not made of glass.

Credit: Deadline
Credit: Deadline

"Just be careful if that's what you do, because sometimes it goes wrong. Be careful alright, don't poach eggs in the microwave."

Speaking again on Tuesday (Nov 9), Gary said: "I was poaching an egg like I have done a million times before.

"You boil the kettle, fill an ordinary teacup halfway up with water and then crack the egg into the cup.

"You then put it in the microwave for 40 seconds and voila, one poached egg.


"When I took it out of the microwave and placed the soup spoon in the cup to fish the egg out, the egg popped and the boiling water exploded all over my face and chest leaving severe burns.

"I went to A & E to seek out immediate medical help and I am now on the mend.

"Two things that are positive from this experience is I can still see out of that eye but more importantly...

We could have been facing each other when I went to take the egg out but we weren't and she escaped uninjured."

Credit: Deadline
Credit: Deadline

The viral post has now racked up over 686,000 views and 18,000 likes with thousands of shocked comments from viewers.

One user wrote: "My daughter did this when she was 16, she's 30 now. It was horrific, she was unrecognisable."

"Omg, I hope your eye is okay. Who would have thought that poached eggs in the microwave would be so dangerous," someone else added.


A third commented: "I tried to boil an egg and the same thing happened to me, luckily I got out of the way in time."

"Oh no, I do this all the time. Get well soon, that looks sore," a final user concluded.

Well, if this doesn't prove that you shouldn't trust everything you see on TikTok... I don't know what does!

Featured Image Credit: Deadline

Topics: Warning, injury, Scotland, TikTok

Anish Vij
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Netflix True Crime Film About Mystery Of Woman's Identity Expected To Be Next Big Documentary

2 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


New £1 Hangover Pill Is Going On Sale In The UK Today

4 hours ago