Two-Year-Old Fractures Hand After He Climbs Onto Luggage Carousel
A two-year-old boy ended up with a broken hand after he hopped on an airport luggage conveyor belt and going 'round on the carousel.
The toddler dashed away from his mum Edith Vega while she was printing out boarding passes at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia last week.
While her back was turned little Lorenzo ran off and climbed on the luggage carousel.
He spent five-minutes on the conveyor-belt and ended up in the luggage room, while his horrified mum was stuck in the pick-up area.
Edith told WSB-TV that she 'went blank' when she realised what had happened, adding that she then panicked and wanted to jump onto the belt after her son, but airport staff stopped her.
She told the news outlet: "I just went blank. I was, like, 'Hey, my son...' I wanted to jump in and try to go get him but they didn't allow me. I was just freaking out and I'm, like, 'Oh my goodness, I hope he's OK. I hope he's just enjoying the ride'."
More Like This
In shocking CCTV footage, Lorenzo can be seen clutching onto a moving suitcase, before he's pulled into the conveyor system and disappears from sight.
From there he fell down a chute and ended up in the airport's luggage room and shocked stuff rushed over to get him off the conveyor.
Lorenzo was then rushed into hospital where doctors said he had fractured his hand and suffered minor cuts and bruises - but it could have been a lot worse, with mum Edith saying she was 'thankful he's alive'.
She added: "That's all that goes through my mind. I'm just grateful he's here. I just hope he gets better."
A spokesperson for Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport said: "Officers with Atlanta Police and Atlanta Fire and Rescue responded to an incident at [the airport] involving a small child who accessed the automated baggage screening system via the Spirit Airlines ticket counter.
"The Transportation Security Administration and other partners are also assisting with the investigation into the incident."
The spokesperson added that as the ticket counter wasn't open at the time of the incident there were no member of staff able to step in and rescue the boy.
Featured Image Credit: WSB-TV