Advert

Latest

31 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

a day ago
Advert

Vape Pen Explodes Burning 20 Percent Of Woman's Body

Vape Pen Explodes Burning 20 Percent Of Woman's Body

A woman has suffered severe burns to her body after a vape pen exploded in her backpack, setting her on fire.

The unnamed woman was shopping at a Rite Aid drugstore in California, when the pen exploded and set light to her clothing.

Advert

According to reports, staff attempted to extinguish the flames but were unable to do so. As a result of the incident, she suffered first and second-degree burns.

Photographs have now been released showing the woman's scarred body, her charred back pack, burnt hooded top, and the vape pen that had been totally destroyed.

Speaking about the incident at a press conference, Battalion Chief Josh Janssen said the woman was treated at the scene before being taken to a nearby hospital.

The woman suffered burns to 20 percent of her body. Credit: Cal Fire
The woman suffered burns to 20 percent of her body. Credit: Cal Fire

He said: "We received multiple reports of a female on fire in a local Rite Aid. While responding to the incident, we received updated information that the fire was caused by a vape pen that had exploded inside the female's backpack.

Advert

"Upon arrival at the incident, we found the patient's upper clothing to be significantly burned and the female had approximately 20 percent burn surface area - first and second-degree burns.

"She was treated on scene and transported to a local burns centre."

It is not known what condition the woman is in.

This isn't the first time a vape device has exploded, injuring the user. In particularly tragic circumstances last year, a young man died after his e-cigarette blew up in his face, severing a major artery.

It's claimed the vape pen exploded while in her backpack. Credit: Cal Fire
It's claimed the vape pen exploded while in her backpack. Credit: Cal Fire

William Brown, from Fort Worth, Texas, was using the vape while in his car outside the Smoke and Vape DZ store, just moments after buying the device, says his grandmother.

According to reports, the explosion caused shrapnel to enter his neck and sever the carotid artery, which cut off blood to his brain, killing him.

It was apparently the first time the young man had ever used an e-cigarette.

Mr Brown is believed to have tried to crawl out of his car to signal for help before collapsing on the pavement. He was then taken to John Peter Smith Hospital, where he was sadly declared dead two days later.

William Brown died after his e-cigarette exploded in his face last year. Credit: Facebook
William Brown died after his e-cigarette exploded in his face last year. Credit: Facebook

According to the Tarrant County medical examiner, the electrician's cause of death was listed as 'penetrating trauma from exploding vaporiser pen'.

Mr Brown's grandmother, Alice Brown, spoke to press about the pain caused by his death and says he didn't usually smoke, but had bought the vape pen after he was told it could help ease his asthma.

She told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "It just hurts so bad, now he'll never see that birthday. It's a waste of the things he could have accomplished.

"It just all seems so unreal. He was running around doing his thing at 24 and now he's gone."

Featured Image Credit: Cal Fire

Topics: Interesting, US News, vaping, Health

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Birds Eye Confirms Waffles Can Be Cooked In Toaster After 'Rigorous' Testing

Birds Eye Confirms Waffles Can Be Cooked In Toaster After 'Rigorous' Testing

24 days ago