Doctor Issues Warning After More Than 200 People Went Blind From Filler
Lip and dermal fillers appear to be taking hold in many western countries like the UK, United States, Canada and Australia.
In fact, Australia has the highest rate of plastic surgeries per capita; beating the US last year with 500,000 procedures in a single year.
Men and women across the globe are getting mini injections of fluid that plumps up their lips, cheeks and foreheads and our social media feeds have once again been dominated by people pulling the classic duck face - although this time it's not because the person is deliberately over-accentuating the look.
However, there is concern amongst medical professionals about the method some people use to get this plumped look.
An article published in the journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery revealed that there's been a 94 percent jump in the number of people experiencing blindness after getting the procedure done.
That's prompted Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery president Dr Irene Kushelew to issue a warning to people considering having it done.
"Many Australians incorrectly believe that procedures involving dermal fillers are beauty treatments, in the same category as facials," Dr Kushelew told the Daily Telegraph.
"Complications can and do take place but reports of botched procedures and the use of imported, illegal products are on the rise in Australia."
More Like This
According to City Skin Cosmetic Clinic, clinicians who administer the filler always need to be careful about the arteries around the face.
"When treating with dermal filler we have to be very aware of the blood supply of the head and neck. Any blockage to the blood supply can affect the structures surrounding and beyond the blockage. Think of it as a creating a dam along a river - it blocks the flow of water," it says on its website.
"Other important arteries to be aware of include the supratrochlear artery, dorsal nasal and supraorbital arteries. If dermal filler is inadvertently injected into these vessels the filler can travel along the artery and block the blood supply to the eye causing blindness."
An Aussie woman became the first to suffer permanent blindness after a botched procedure last year.
It's understood that a nurse administered the filler at a clinic in April, with no doctor present during the short meeting.
So be warned, don't accept advertisements on places like Facebook or Gumtree from people offering to do backyard filler procedures. It's much better to fork out a bit more cash and get it done in a clinic with a doctor that knows what they're doing.
Featured Image Credit: PA