| Last updated
Wayne Couzens has arrived at court after being charged with the kidnapping and murder of Sarah Everard.
The Metropolitan Police officer, 48, was arrested last week for allegedly being involved in Ms Everard's disappearance.
Ms Everard, 33, went missing while on her way home from a friend's in Clapham, London, at about 9.30pm on 3 March.
Sarah, who is originally from York and attended Durham University, was walking home when she was last seen - a journey that should have taken her just 50 minutes.
Her family had said it was 'totally out of character' for her to go missing.
However, police confirmed on Friday (12 March) the tragic news that the human remains that had been found in a woodland area in Kent belonged to Ms Everard.
Met Police Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave said: "As you know, on Wednesday evening detectives investigating the disappearance of Sarah Everard discovered a body secreted in woodland in Kent.
"The body has now been recovered and formal identification procedure has now been undertaken.
"I can now confirm that it is the body of Sarah Everard."
In a statement, Sarah's family said they were utterly heartbroken by her death and urged anyone who had any information to come forward.
They said: "Our beautiful daughter Sarah was taken from us and we are appealing for any information that will help to solve this terrible crime.
"Sarah was bright and beautiful - a wonderful daughter and sister. She was kind and thoughtful, caring and dependable. She always put others first and had the most amazing sense of humour.
"She was strong and principled and a shining example to us all. We are very proud of her and she brought so much joy to our lives.
"We would like to thank our friends and family for all their support during this awful time and we would especially like to thank Sarah's friends who are working tirelessly to help."
Ms Everard's tragic death has sparked an outcry across the country, with other women condemning the torrent of abuse and misogamy they experience on a daily basis.
Using the hashtag #NotAllMenButAllWomen, one person said: "I hope all men are listening to what women are saying right now. I'm forced to carry protection when I walk alone. Constantly checking behind me. Not wearing headphones. The list goes on. It is terrifying to simply exist. We have had enough."
Another wrote: "It blows my mind that men who shout "IT'S NOT ALL MEN" are far more concerned about women voicing their concerns, rather than the fact that we are being assaulted, kidnapped & murdered in such large numbers by men."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read