Woman Almost Dies From Anaphylactic Reaction After Sex With Husband
A woman almost died after suffering a severe allergic reaction from having sex with her husband.
The incredible case, told in the American Journal of Medicine, saw the 46-year-old woman have an anaphylactic reaction to medication her other-half was taking that she came into contact with through his semen.
The report was given the catchy title: Almost Killed by Love: A Cautionary Coital Tale, which described the woman as having 'dizziness, diarrhoea, itchy hands and feet and sweating' so took a trip to A&E.
The woman, from Baltimore, Maryland in the US, was checked over by doctors and found to have low blood pressure, prompting doctors to believe she may have sepsis.
They placed her on an IV drip and pumped her with antibiotics, but further testing revealed she was in anaphylactic shock.
Puzzled as to how this happened, doctors then learnt that her husband was being treated with nafcillin for a bacterial infection that may have been the trigger for her reaction.
The report goes on: "We have reported a case of an anaphylactic reaction to nafcillin in a penicillin-allergic patient via vaginal exposure to the antibiotic contained within her partner's semen.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"While we were unable to obtain a specimen from the patient's husband to confirm detectable levels of nafcillin in her partner's semen, the patient's clinical presentation coupled with the onset of symptoms post-coitus leads us to believe she was exposed to nafcillin concentrated in the seminal fluid."
The unnamed woman had a well-documented history of allergies to penicillin, so had avoided it since childhood, but, presumably, didn't think this could happen so had happily gone to bed with her husband not knowing there was any danger.
As soon as doctors realised what had happened they were able to treat her and get her blood pressure back to normal, before discharging her with an EpiPen; she was also told to skip sex with her hubby until at least one week after he finished his antibiotics.
Bizarrely, this isn't the first time the journal has covered a story like this - there has been two other instances and that's just the ones that have been documented. Be careful out there.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Topics: US News
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read