| Last updated
All six English clubs that were set to be involved in the proposed European Super League have withdrawn after a significant backlash from fans, pundits, UEFA, the UK football governing body and - well - absolutely everyone.
Manchester City were the first to release an official statement announcing that they were pulling out, but Chelsea had already signalled that they were going to do so as well after around 1,000 fans showed up at Stamford Bridge to protest ahead of their game against Brighton and Hove Albion.
After that, the four other clubs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, followed on in kind.
The Super League has now said that it will reconsider 'the most appropriate steps' in order to reshape the project.
They announced the breakaway European competition - although 'competition' in this case means no promotion or relegation - on Sunday evening to almost universal condemnation.
Now, after just two days, the English clubs have thrown it into disarray.
Manchester City said they have 'formally enacted the procedures to withdraw', whereas Liverpool said that their involvement had been 'discontinued'.
Manchester United - as well as receiving the resignation of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward - said they had 'listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders' in deciding to withdraw.
Arsenal were the only club of the six to formally issue an apology to their supporters, stating that the club 'made a mistake' and was to withdraw after listening to fans' views, as well as those from the 'wider football community'.
While not issuing an outright apology, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said he and the club regretted the 'anxiety and upset' caused by their actions.
Chelsea said they'd only agreed to join up late last week and have now begun the process of withdrawal.
The English clubs' moves have received praise from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, who said: "They are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.
"The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together."
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who had reserved criticism for the proposed league, tweeted: "I welcome last night's announcement. This is the right result for football fans, clubs, and communities across the country. We must continue to protect our cherished national game."
A statement from the European Super League read: "Given the current circumstances we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community."
The remaining clubs yet to withdraw from the league are Spanish giants Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, as well as Italian clubs Juventus, Inter Milan and AC Milan.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read