Conor McGregor has had his day in court in New York today after the alleged bus attack that saw him turn himself in to the police in April.
After the alleged incident at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn earlier this year, McGregor was arrested on charges of assault and criminal mischief, before being released on a $50k bail bond. Today marked his first appearance in front of the judge and jury.
The 'Notorious' multiple weight UFC champion read a short prepared statement outside the courtroom in which he expressed his regret for his actions and his subsequent legal troubles.
The statement said: "I regret my actions that led to today.
"I understand the seriousness of this matter and I'm hopeful this will get worked out. Thank you, everyone."
In video footage that was released after the incident, it seemed as if Conor threw some stuff through the window of a bus that was taking UFC fighters away from the arena. All of the MMA athletes were due to fight at UFC 223 that weekend but Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by glass from a smashed window and were unable to make their appearances.
The events are thought to have stemmed from a previous argument and altercation between McGregor's stable mate Artem Lobov and fellow UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov.
His stay in the courtroom was brief, lasting about 45 seconds. In that time his team said that he intended to negotiate a plea before the session was dismissed.
Reports suggest that McGregor and another MMA fighter, McGregor's friend Cian Cowley, will have to return to the court on 26 July for the following hearing.
McGregor is also due to meet with UFC boss Dana White on Monday 18 June. It is thought that the meeting will take place at an undisclosed location and the pair will discuss McGregor's future with the promotion, with whom he boasts a 21-3-0 record.
White told TMZ: "I don't know what's gonna happen. I don't know what Conor has planned. I don't know what Conor and his team have worked on."
McGregor was stripped of his UFC lightweight belt in April 2018 and he has not fought with the company since beating Eddie Alvarez back in 2016.
It had been thought that McGregor would never fight for UFC again, but it now seems that he might come back to fight the aforementioned Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Speaking to the press after the alleged fracas, Khabib said: "To be honest, I hope he is going to fix his problems.
"Me and him will have to fix our problem. Inside the cage or outside, it doesn't matter. We have to fix this."
Featured Image Credit: PA
- Conor McGregor Finally Takes £2.9 Million Lamborghini Superyacht For A Spin In Exhilarating Footage
- Fans Think Conor McGregor Will Regret Posting Photos In Pub Night After 'Petrol Bomb Attack'
- Jake Paul Responds After Conor McGregor Compares His Look To Jimmy Savile
- Conor McGregor hits back at fan who accused him of using drugs