| Last updated
The judge who quizzed three men over an alleged rape in an Ibiza hotel described their version of events as 'credible and coherent' as they were released.
The men, including two Charlton Athletic footballers, were arrested after being accused of raping a woman in a hotel room in Ibiza.
Twenty-year-old Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild and 26-year-old Olusola Odejayi have been told that they must remain on the Spanish island pending an investigation and have had their passports confiscated.
Hackett-Fairchild's teammate Karlan Ahearne-Grant has been told that he can leave the island providing he signs in at the Spanish Embassy in London at regular intervals. He is being investigated for a privacy offence, but is not accused of any sex crime.
Judge Carmen Robles Zamora said that there were 'reasonable doubts' that a sex attack had taken place in a written explanation of why she was releasing the trio instead of remanding them in jail.
According to the MailOnline the judge said that the alleged victim's statement about what happened had 'credibility' but highlighted a lack of any injury or bruising that could back up her account.
It has been locally reported that Charlton forward Karlan Ahearne-Grant's mobile phone would be sent to Madrid to be analysed, including the recovery of any material that had been erased.
Hackett-Fairchild and Odejayi are being investigated over the alleged sex attack.
The pair have been told they will have to sign on at a local court twice a month, although lawyers are expected to appeal to get the bail conditions overturned.
The two Charlton footballers were arrested early on Tuesday morning after the alleged victim's parents took her to police to lodge a formal complaint.
Odejayi was held on Wednesday after an identification parade.
He is understood to have told police that he had sex with the teenage British tourist, but said it was consensual.
Carmen Robles Zamora justified her decision to release the men and go against the wishes of a state prosecutor who wanted them remanded in jail ahead of a possible trial.
She wrote: "Although the victim's statement has credibility and was made when she was very upset, the report by the forensic doctor does not show any type of injury or even bruising on her thighs and genital area when the victim has stated she was a virgin."
She also described that the men's versions of events were 'credible and coherent' after they addressed her during a closed hearing at a court in Ibiza Town.
She continued: "For these reasons there are reasonable doubts of the existence of the commission of the crime which has motivated this current judicial investigation."
The document also makes it clear that Ahearne-Grant is not being probed on suspicion of participating in the alleged sex attack, but over two recordings on his mobile phone which he subsequently erased.
The reason he is said to have made the recordings - and exactly what he took footage of - has not been made clear.
Local paper Diario de Ibiza reported today the phone would be sent to Madrid for police analysis as part of attempts to recover the erased footage.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read