To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
There have been plenty of warnings to people about not using dodgy, cheap chargers for smartphones as they aren't technically approved to work with the device.
Instances of electric shocks and overheating have been reported and that's why experts want people to only use the cables that come with the phone.
However, a 12-year-old was seriously injured when a simple, old-school looking phone exploded in his hand.
The young boy was using the Hua Tang VT-V59 phone when it blew up, causing his index finger to be ripped off his hand.
He was rushed to a Chinese hospital in a non-critical condition.
When the device exploded, it also sent shards of plastic into his face, which have affected his right eye. It's reported the boy's brother was in the room at the same time however was luckily uninjured.
According to China News, the kid picked up the two-year-old phone and unplugged the charger. When he checked the time on the device, it exploded for virtually no reason.
Guangxi News reports doctors were faced with a rather pressing predicament when the 12-year-old was brought into hospital: deal with the eye or finger first?
An extensive debate between ophthalmologists, anaesthesiologists and other consultants, they decided to treat the hand area.
They made this decision because ischemia, otherwise known as a lack of blood supply to a muscle or organ, can only last for up to four to six hours and his hand could have been irreparably damaged if doctors waited any longer.
Three remaining fingers had virtually no blood supply at this point and the medics were in a race against time.
When he was finally put onto the operating table, an astonishing 14 hours had passed.
The surgery took about five hours, with physicians performing a forearm flap transfer to help repair the hand. That helped address the issues with the other fingers, but because the damage on the index was so extensive, they realised there was nothing they could do.
After that was completed, ophthalmologists were able to work to remove the debris from his eye. It's reported the kid will regain about 98 percent of the use of his hand is his rehabilitation all goes smoothly.
Incredibly, when hearing that the boy's family were poor, a doctor from the Fuwu Hospital of Autonomous Region People's Hospital elected to donate 7,000 yuan (£782) to help in his recovery.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read