Advert

Latest

3 hours ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

8 hours ago
Advert

CCTV Shows Moment Before Lorry In Essex Pulled Into Depot

CCTV Shows Moment Before Lorry In Essex Pulled Into Depot

CCTV footage has been released showing the moment before the lorry carrying 39 dead bodies pulled into an industrial estate in Essex.

Advert

The lorry was found at Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays at around 1.40am this morning (23 October), and police have since arrested a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland on suspicion of murder.

Emergency services attended the scene, but sadly all 39 people inside the container had died. It is believed that one of the bodies belonged to that of a teenager, while the rest were adults.

An updated statement from Essex Police, released at around 4pm today, explained detectives are continuing their investigation into what happened.

The statement said: "We were called shortly after 1.40am by our colleagues in the East of England Ambulance Service to reports that, sadly, 39 people had been discovered dead in the container of a lorry at the Waterglade Industrial Park in Eastern Avenue."

It continued: "Originally, we reported that the lorry had travelled into the country through Holyhead on Saturday 19 October.

Advert

"After further enquiries, we now believe that the trailer travelled from Zeebrugge [a Belgian port and seaside resort] into Purfleet [Essex], and docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 12:30am this morning. The tractor unit of the lorry is believed to have originated in Northern Ireland.

"We believe the lorry and trailer left the port shortly after 1.05am.

"The driver of the lorry, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, remains in custody having been arrested on suspicion of murder."

The investigation is ongoing. Credit: PA
The investigation is ongoing. Credit: PA

Essex Police said the cordon remains in place at Eastern Avenue, adding that they expect the investigation to be 'lengthy and complex'.

The harrowing discovery has shocked the public in both the UK and beyond.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he is 'appalled' by the 'tragic incident'.

He tweeted: "I am receiving regular updates from the Home Office and will work closely with Essex Police as we establish exactly what has happened.

"My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives and their loved ones."

Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said: "This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened.

"We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: uk news, News, crime

 

Next Up

Registered Sex Offenders Sue Police For 'No Trick-or-Treat' Signs Outside Homes

Registered Sex Offenders Sue Police For 'No Trick-or-Treat' Signs Outside Homes

2 months ago