Huge Fire At Coral Island Arcade On Blackpool's Iconic Central Promenade
A fire has ripped through an amusement arcade on Blackpool's famous promenade.
The blaze at the Coral Island arcade was sparked by a fault with an external light, but luckily it seems as if the damage done wasn't too bad.
The fire took hold at about 11:40pm last night and took around two hours to be extinguished by the emergency services.
A spokesperson for Coral Island said: "There has been a fire at Coral Island, this was caused by an electrical fault on an external light.
"The fire was rapidly controlled by our extensive sprinkler system and we are extremely thankful for the quick response of the fire services.
"No-one was harmed during the fire, for which we are very grateful and there has been no significant damage to Coral Island.
"We appreciate all of the kind messages we have received and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Coral Island soon."
More Like ThisMore Like This
Coral Island has been a feature on Blackpool's famous Central Promenade for years and holds many precious memories for people who visited in their youth.
Jake Davies told Lancashire Live: "This is really grim. The hopes and dreams of millions of youngsters exist in that place.
"I have such fond memories of going there as a kid, armed with a bucket full of 2p pieces and aspirations of being the next Richard Branson. Entranced by the flashing lights and bundles of £20 notes in the coin pusher machine.
"There was that old racing game too where you always used to hedge your 20p bet on the pink horse with the highest payout. It never came in, until the first time you stopped playing it. Hope they can save it, it's an iconic piece of everyone's childhood!"
A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Four fire engines from Blackpool, South Shore and Bispham were called to a fire at a commercial property on the Promenade, Blackpool.
"Firefighters used two hose reels, ladders and thermal imaging cameras to extinguish the fire on the roof.
"Firefighters were at the scene for nearly two hours. The fire investigation begins this morning."
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/Vicky Hastings
Topics: uk news