Advert

Taxi Driver Badly Burnt By 'Fireball' After Sanitising Hands And Using Lighter

Published 
| Last updated 

Taxi Driver Badly Burnt By 'Fireball' After Sanitising Hands And Using Lighter

*WARNING - CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES*

A taxi driver has been left badly burnt after he sanitised his hands before using a cigarette lighter.

Brian Hutchinson, from Newcastle, UK, was cleaning his vehicle while waiting for a job to come through when he noticed the lighter had been left in the back seat.

The 42-year-old decided to test if it worked, but within the blink of an eye he had been engulfed by a 'fireball'.

Advert
Brian said a 'fireball' swept up his body. Credit: North News and Pictures Ltd.
Brian said a 'fireball' swept up his body. Credit: North News and Pictures Ltd.

He was rushed to the Royal Victoria Infirmary and given morphine, but he said: "When that wore off I knew about it - the pain was horrendous."

He subsequently spent seven weeks in the hospital receiving treatment for severe burns, undergoing multiple operations and skin grafts.

Recounting the horrific incident, the dad-of-two said: "I had just been cleaning the vehicle while waiting for a job offer.

Advert

"I noticed there was a dropped lighter in the back seat off my car.

"I had just sanitised my hands so rubbed the palm on my leg to dry them, but the tops of my hands were still wet.

"I picked the lighter up and sparked it to see if worked."

He continued: "The back of my hand then caught alight, then as I went to open the door to throw the lighter, my other hand caught alight, then there was, like, a fireball inside the car that hit my face and went over my head.

Advert

"It lasted literally seconds but as you've seen from the pictures it has left me worse for wear.

"I have been in hospital for seven weeks, I have had skin grafts on both hands, on my head, and ears."

Brian's second child, who is now just five weeks old, was born while he was still in hospital.

But now he is finally back at home with his family; however, he faces a long road to recovery and has to wear pressure garments on his skin, possibly for years to come.

Advert
Brian is now unable to work. Credit: North News and Pictures Ltd.
Brian is now unable to work. Credit: North News and Pictures Ltd.

Brian said: "I want to say a big thank you to all the staff on Ward 37 burns unit at the RVI, I appreciate everything they have done for me."

Due to his injuries, he is unable to work, but a GoFundMe has been set up to support his family during this tough time.

You can donate here.

Featured Image Credit: North News and Pictures Ltd.

Topics: UK News

Jake Massey
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Jimmy Carr Shuts Down Anti-Vaxxer Who Was At His Gig With Just One Line

2 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Sport

Tommy Fury Vs Jake Paul Fight Has Been Cancelled

12 hours ago