ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Driver Left With Horrific Burns After Spraying Air Freshener Then Lighting Cigarette In Car

Driver Left With Horrific Burns After Spraying Air Freshener Then Lighting Cigarette In Car

The man says he's 'lucky' to be alive following the incident

Claire Reid

Claire Reid

A man says he's lucky to be alive after he sprayed a can of air freshener in his car before lighting up a cigarette and inadvertently causing an explosion.

Carl Fisher, 29, was left with horrific burns to his face and hands following the incident, which also left his car destroyed.

Ben Lack

Fisher, from Halifax, in West Yorkshire, said he bought some air freshener and gave it a 'gentle spray' but that the smell was so strong he had to open up all the car windows.

He said he drove along for 'about ten minutes', adding that the smell had mostly gone when he decided to light up a cigarette.

As soon as he attempted to use his lighter, an explosion tore through the car and was so powerful it blew out the windows of a nearby business.

Speaking to The Sun, Fisher said: "I remember the pressure of it blowing up on my body and everything lighting up in front of me.

"There was a bright white light. I think I closed my eyes and lifted my hands up over my face. It felt like it lasted for ages."

@WYFRSFireInvest

He added: "I'm incredibly lucky to be here. I should be dead right now.

"Seeing the damage to my car, I can't believe I managed to get out alive.

"I was literally driving around in a primed bomb and I didn't have a clue until I went to light a Benson & Hedges and it went off.

"I have no idea how or why I was so lucky. It's a miracle before Christmas."

Fisher was taken to hospital, where he was treated for his injuries and is now recovering at home.

Following the incident, West Yorkshire Police posted on Facebook to say: "Shortly after 3pm this afternoon Fountain Street, Halifax, had to be closed due to an exploded aerosol can.

Ben Lack

"The fumes exploded and blew out his windscreen, along with some windows at nearby business premises.

"The owner fortunately sustained only minor injuries, but this could have been worse.

"Please can members of the public be careful and follow guidelines when using air freshener cans?"

Meanwhile, Fisher has vowed never to use an aerosol air freshener again, saying: "In future, I'll dangle one from my rear-view mirror."

Featured Image Credit: Ben Lack

Topics: UK News, Car