Advert

Man Left With Permanent 'Gravy Chin' After Cooking Fry-Up

Published 
| Last updated 

Man Left With Permanent 'Gravy Chin' After Cooking Fry-Up

A man has been left with 'gravy chin' scarring on his chin after being splashed with boiling oil while cooking a fry up.

Josh Thomond was cooking himself a fry up on 22 May when he accidentally dropped a sausage into a 'puddle' of hot oil inside the pan.

Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

The 25-year-old let out a yelp of pain, which was heard by his partner Sarah Quinn and her six-year-old daughter in the next room.

Advert

However, despite being burnt with the boiling oil - Josh was determined to enjoy his cooked breakfast and after 10 minutes running the burns under cold water, he was back to cooking.

The burns have left Josh with a mark on his chin, and has been branded 'gravy chin' by one of his pals - a name he's concerned he may be stuck with if the scars don't go.

Josh, from Leigh, Greater Manchester, said: "I was making breakfast in the morning, cooking some hash browns and sausages.

"I made my girlfriend's first and all the fat from the sausages came out in the pan so when I came to do mine there was a puddle of oil in the pan.

Advert
Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

"The sausages were all stuck together so I was cutting them up over the pan and accidentally dropped one in from chest height and the oil splashed up straight onto my face.

"I had ducked down to try and catch it so I ended up making it even worse for myself by being closer to the pan as it splashed up.

"The first minute I was in shock and my skin was reacting with the heat but then it really started burning and stinging and became quite painful.

Advert

"I posted about it on Facebook with photos of the burns and had some funny comments - mates said it looked like a 'gravy chin' or 'covid rash'.

"People said it looked worse in person which made me worry about it scarring.

Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

"I know I'm not going to look like Beckham or anything but I don't want it to be there every time I look in the mirror or meet someone new and have them ask what it is."

Advert

After being splashed with the oil, Josh and Sarah did a quick online search to find the best way to treat the burns and spent 10 minutes splashing cold water onto the area.

Josh said: "When it happened I shouted and swore and Sarah shouted from the other room asking if I was okay and I just replied saying yes because I was a bit embarrassed.

"But after a few minutes it really started to burn so I went and showed her and said 'actually I've really burnt my chin'.

"She googled the best thing to do and told me to put cold water on it so I stood at the kitchen sink cupping cold water in my hand and holding it on my chin.

Advert
Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

"But after a bit I just really wanted my breakfast so I finished cooking and ate it. I was just annoyed that I'd burnt my hash browns because I was distracted."

And in case you're wondering, the kitchen mishap hasn't put Josh off his beloved fry-ups.

"I love a fry up, I cook breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning without fail - a bacon, sausage and hash brown bagel," said.

"Getting burned hasn't put me off cooking breakfast but I'm definitely more wary.

"I always drain the pan now and put the oil in a cup to cool down and I don't cut the sausages over the pan either, I've learnt my lesson the hard way."

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Topics: Food, UK News

Claire Reid
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Ghislaine Maxwell's Lawyers Have Filed For A Retrial

16 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Doctor Reveals Stinky Farts Can Make You Go Blind

a day ago