McDonald's Monopoly Has Been Cancelled For 2020
McDonald's has announced its popular Monopoly promotion has been cancelled for this year, assuring fans it hopes for it to return in 2021.
Earlier this year, McDonald's confirmed Monopoly would be returning on 25 March and promised things would be 'even more special', but then, of course, the coronavirus pandemic scuppered those plans as restaurants were forced to close.
A statement from McDonald's UK & Ireland CEO Paul Pomroy said: "We took the decision to close our restaurants shortly before this year's Monopoly promotion was due to launch. We know many of you enjoy this promotion, which has run since 2005 in the UK.
"To enable safe working and social distancing inside our restaurants and to minimise the pressure on our employees, we have decided to cancel this year's Monopoly VIP campaign.
"It creates a great deal of excitement inside our restaurants and relies heavily upon menu items we cannot safely reintroduce yet.
"Rest assured, we are already planning for Monopoly 2021 and hope to be able to bring this popular promotion back next Spring."
The good news, however, is that from next week, the fast food giant will be bringing back some old menu favourites - including the likes of shakes, Mayo Chicken Burgers, Bacon Double Cheeseburgers and even BREAKFAST!
A statement said: "From 11am on Wednesday 8th July, we will reintroduce some of the main menu items you've told us you're missing, as we slowly seek to return to our full menu.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"Next week, Shakes, Mayo Chicken, Bacon Mayo Chicken, Hot Chocolate and the Bacon Double Cheeseburger all rejoin the menu, with Happy Meal Organic Milk bottles also making a welcome return for our younger customers.
"As we continue to adapt to the social distancing and safety measures in our kitchens and service areas, we will constantly review what we're able to sell and hope to reintroduce more items later in the summer."
It continued: "Following a successful first week of the pilot, I am delighted to announce that also on Wednesday 8th July we will extend breakfast service to over 1,000 restaurants.
"This will still be a limited menu, for now - no bagels, wraps or porridge, but as with the main menu, we're working on returning popular missing items later in the year. Hours will continue to vary and many restaurants will be opening slightly later than usual for now."
McDonald's advised customers to download the My McDonald's app or to check on the website's restaurant locator before you travel.
It also said it would be rolling out longer hours and takeaway service, following successful trials in a number of restaurants.
McDonald's added: "We'll keep the app and website up to date as we gradually roll out takeaway service from Friday 3rd to Wednesday 8th July to more than 800 restaurants.
"Some restaurants will also start to serve later into the evening, returning to 24 hour service in some locations."
Featured Image Credit: PA