Advert

Mum Left With Burns To Face, Neck And Chest After Egg Poaching Hack

Published 
| Last updated 

Mum Left With Burns To Face, Neck And Chest After Egg Poaching Hack

A mum has warned others about an egg-poaching 'hack' after it left her with burns to her face, neck and chest.

Áine Lynch, 35, had been watching Loose Women on Thursday 15 April when she saw panellist Frankie Bridge show viewers how to make a 'perfect' poached egg.

Bridge cracked an egg into a mug, which had been partly filled with water, and then popped it into the microwave to cook.

When Áine tried it out for herself, however, the process didn't prove to be quite so perfect - saying it had been an 'epic fail'.

Advert
Credit: Reach
Credit: Reach

The mum-of-two said: "On Saturday morning, my husband Johnny and I both got up and got the kids sorted out with breakfast and I started to make us breakfast at about 10.30am.

"I'd seen this hack on Loose Women and thought I'd give poached eggs and bacon a go. I filled a mug halfway with water, swirled it, cracked an egg in and put it on for 60 seconds.

"The egg came out overdone so I got another mug and did the same, only this time I put it in for 50 seconds.

Advert

"Once it was done, I lifted the mug out of the microwave and within seconds the egg exploded and sprayed the boiling water all over my chest, neck and face.

Credit: ITV
Credit: ITV

"I just started screaming for Johnny to come and I ran into the bathroom and started covering my chest and face in cold water.

"I soaked two flannels and kept the wounds cool while Johnny ran to our local chemist where Paul, the pharmacist, gave him cream and a burns pad and advised we go to A&E."

Advert

Áine - who is from Mayobridge, Co Down, Northern Ireland - said she was 'lucky' because the hospital was just a 10-minute drive away, but that the pain was 'excruciating'.

Credit: Reach
Credit: Reach

She continued: "I was taken straight in, without Johnny because of Covid restrictions, and the nurses covered me in burns pads and blankets because my body was shivering with the cold caused by shock."

Advert

Áine added: "I was in A&E for five hours and sent home with a bag of pain relief and lotions and dressings."

She said she was just glad she hadn't been holding her two young children - aged 22 months and 12 weeks - at the time of the accident.

Advert
Credit: Reach
Credit: Reach

Áine later took to Facebook to warn others about trying hacks like the one she tried, writing: "Don't poach eggs in the microwave. I saw a hack on Loose Women and it's fair to say it was an epic fail. It's going to be a while before I'm back to myself but please God I'll not have any lasting scars."

She now hopes to spread awareness, saying: "I'm finding it hard to sleep, so I'm now taking sleeping tablets. My emotions are really erratic now too, one minute I'm fine the next I'm crying my eyes out. I'm so afraid of being left with permanent scarring on my face.

LADbible has reached out to ITV for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Reach

Topics: Hack, Food, UK News, News, Loose Women

Jess Hardiman
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Floyd Mayweather Breaks Silence After Scuffle With YouTube Star Jake Paul

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Paige Spiranac Says Men Use Binoculars To Watch Her At Golf Course

2 hours ago