Mum's Head Ballooned And Eyes Turned To 'Jelly' After She Was Bitten By Spider
A mum has spoken of her horror after her head swelled up when she was bitten by what seems to be a 'false widow' spider in the night.
Natalie Pumfrey was attacked by the creepy crawly in the middle of the night last month and started to panic when she woke up with puffy eyes and blurred vision.
The 32-year-old was rushed to the hospital for urgent treatment after her condition deteriorated and 'jelly' began seeping out of her eyes.
Natalie, of Basildon, Essex, said: "I felt it on my face and pinched and threw it across the room.
"This is about 4am. I woke up at 6am with my daughter and I got out of bed. I couldn't see out of my eyes so I wondered if I had conjunctivitis."
The mum-of-two added: "My husband looked at me and said, 'Oh my God, look in the mirror'. I had huge, glazed eyes with all the white bits looking like jelly. I said, 'I can't see out of them'."
In an effort to kill any germs that might have remained, husband Wayne Pumfrey, 45, frantically cleaned their bedroom and even boiled their bedsheets before Natalie came home from A&E.
But Natalie who now refuses to sleep with the window open for fear that another spider might get in and nip her during the night.
More Like This
She said: "A lady at the hospital said it could be a false widow spider. They're not massive. They're maybe the size of a £2 coin.
"I grabbed it in my sleep, got my camera phone out and it was on the floor but we only found half a body and four legs."
Natalie says she's just thankful the spider didn't make its way over to her young baby and bite her as well.
She added: "I had a 10-week old baby in the room. Thankfully it didn't bite my daughter. She was in the cot and my two-year-old was asleep in our room too."
However, Natalie isn't the only one who has suffered at the hands of the false widow spider - which are known for having a venomous, but thankfully not deadly, bite.
Earlier this week, a dad from Southampton claimed he is unable to walk after being bitten five times by one of the little blighters.
Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media