Student Dies After Taking Ecstasy For The First Time To Celebrate The End Of Uni

| Last updated 

Student Dies After Taking Ecstasy For The First Time To Celebrate The End Of Uni

A student died after taking ecstasy for the first time, while out with friends celebrating finishing university.

Twenty-two-year-old Joana Burns and her mates paid £7 each for the MDMA during a night out at the student's union in Sheffield University, her friends have said.

In the early hours of June 7, Joana and another student collapsed. Joana died that evening, the other person is still in hospital in a serious but stable condition, three weeks later, the Mirror reports.

Joana's friend told police: "It was just supposed to be a one-off final fling to finish university." Adding that Joana, who had just finished a maths degree, wasn't a regular drug user.


Credit: PA

Another friend said: "As the end of the semester approached we were all looking forward to the end of term parties and functions, including one at The Tuesday Club at The Foundry.

"About two weeks before, the subject of drugs came up for discussion as some of us use recreational drugs, including cannabis and MDMA.


"Some of my friends wanted MDMA for the night out."

Her heartbroken boyfriend, Lewis Birch, said: "I will always love you and you will be in my heart forever. I will never forget you and would give absolutely everything to have you back in my life.

"If anyone is ever thinking of taking any sort of drug - don't full stop. It has torn my life apart. I am absolutely crushed right now."

The other unnamed student, aged 20, who also took the drug at The Foundry on the same name, was rushed into hospital in a critical condition.


Police chiefs have said a 'large quantity' of drugs were seized from the club on the night Joana died, leading them to call for a review of its licence.

A 23-year-old man and 20-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs and have been bailed pending further investigation.

Joana's mum said: "Joana was a wonderful young woman with so much to look forward to. She will be missed not only by her family and friends but by everyone who knew her."


Credit: Googlemaps

A spokesperson from Sheffield Hallam University, said in a statement: "We are extremely saddened by the death of one of our students following a night out in the city and we would like to offer our deepest condolences to the student's family and friends following this tragic news.

"Joana Burns was a very popular student with a bright future ahead of her. We are offering support to Joana's family, our students and staff.

"We are aware that another Sheffield Hallam student remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition and our thoughts are with them and their family at this difficult time.


"South Yorkshire Police are investigating the matter and we are working with them to support their investigations.

"Sheffield Hallam University does not condone alcohol and substance misuse in any shape or form."

Sources: Mirror

Featured Image Credit: Facebook

Topics: MDMA, Drugs

Claire Reid
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Face Masks To Be Compulsory From Tuesday In England

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Insulate Britain Hunger Striker Moved To Hospital Wing Of Prison

2 hours ago