To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Details have emerged of the youngest victim of the Manchester Arena bombing, who is reported to have been just eight years old.
Lancashire County Council has confirmed that Saffie-Rose Roussos, aged eight, was among the 22 people who were killed during the explosions following last night's Ariana Grande concert.
Youngest victim of Manchester Arena attack was of primary school age, BBC learns https://t.co/b3eCCOyWSD (via @BBCDanielS) pic.twitter.com/xrG8MAEL7Y
- BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) 23 May 2017
This poor little angel. Second victim confirmed as Saffie Rose Roussos, 8 years old. Remember the victims, not the perpetrators. #Manchester pic.twitter.com/nGbqwjrFfk
- Alexandra Zarrah (@Ali_ZONeill) May 23, 2017
RIP Saffie Rose Roussos, an innocent 8-year-old girl. She was probably enjoying the best night of her life - devastatingly heart-breaking.
- Reece (@rlwLFC) May 23, 2017
The first victim of the bombing had previously been named as 18-year-old Georgina Callander. The superfan had previously met her idol, Ariana Grande, at a meet-and-greet in 2015. She tweeted from her account on Sunday that she was 'so excited' to attend the gig.
Devastated friends have taken to Twitter to share memories of the young woman.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the bomb blast at the concert, saying the attacker was a 'soldier of the caliphate'.
According to the Independent, the most recent version of its propaganda magazine listed concert halls as 'ideal target locations' for attacks. Police Chief Ian Hopkins says that the lone attacker died when detonating an improvised explosive device in the attack.
Prime Minister Theresa May has told a press conference that intelligence services believe they know the identity of the attacker but are working to determine whether he was acting alone or a part of a group.
Eyewitnesses reported that nuts and bolts were strewn around the floor while others had identified the 'smell of explosives'. The injured have been taken to hospitals across Manchester, with many suffering shrapnel wounds.
An emergency number is available for those who are concerned about loved ones or anyone who may have been in the area: 0800 096 0095.
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read