Old Trafford On Fire After Faulty Lift Sets Alight At Home Of Manchester United
Emergency services are at the scene at Old Trafford's South Stand in Manchester and have said that they have a fire under control.
The blaze was started as a result of a faulty lift at the home of Manchester United football club. There are still firefighters on the scene as they check that the rest of the stadium is safe.
Firefighters were extinguishing the fire for 90 minutes after it started in the lift motor room before 7am.
A spokesman told Manchester Evening News: "We were called at 6.58am to Sir Matt Busby Way.
"Three fire engines from Manchester, Salford and Stretford attended the scene.
"We have isolated the electrics and extinguished the fire using breathing apparatus and a CO2 fire extinguisher."
More Like ThisMore Like This
@MENnewsdesk Fire at Old Trafford in South Stand ... Fire alarm going off since 7am and smoke!!! pic.twitter.com/5VXg2PAo2q
- Sarah Louise Feeney (@Feenish87) 30 January 2017
A statement from Manchester United said: "A small electrical fire was identified quickly in the Sir Bobby Charlton stand around 7am today.
"The fire brigade attended & the isolated incident was dealt with quickly & effectively. There was minimal damage & there were no injuries."
No-one was hurt in the fire.
Featured Image Credit: Sarah Louise Feeney
Topics: Manchester United
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read