Paul Gascoigne Has Been Charged With Sexual Assault, Reports Suggest
Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been charged with sexual assault, it has been reported.
The incident in question is alleged to have taken place on a train between York and Durham on 20th August 2018.
The British Transport Police has confirmed that the former Rangers, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, and Lazio midfielder - regarded as one of the best of his generation by many - has been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching.
The charges were announced in a statement made on Monday morning by the British Transport Police. A spokesperson said: "A man is due to appear in court next month charged in connection with the sexual assault of a woman on board a train from York to Durham.
"Paul Gascoigne, of Amy Street, Leicester, was charged via postal requisition with one count of sexual assault by touching, contrary to Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
"The charge relates to an incident on board a train on August 20 this year."
The ex-footballer is now to appear at the Newton Aycliffe Magistrates' Court on December 11th to answer the charges.
During his career Gascoigne helped England on their way to a World Cup semi-final in 1990, as well as another semi-final appearance at Euro 1996.
More Like This
Since his career finished 'Gazza' has had his share of personal issues. He has admitted to acts of domestic violence against his wife Sheryl back in the 1990s, and has also had a well publicised battle against alcohol and substance addiction as well as mental health problems.
He has also been fined for using racist language and racially abusing a bodyguard at an event. He has also spent a lot of time in rehabilitation, most recently in 2017.
Gascoigne was in the news earlier in the year when his invitation to the Scottish football Hall of Fame was rescinded because of "concerns" for his health.
The Hall of Fame issued a statement that said: "Further to consultation with the Chair and the Scottish Football Hall of Fame committee, due to a number of factors including ongoing enquiries and concerns over the state of Paul's health, it has been decided to withdraw the nomination of Paul Gascoigne at this time from this year's nomination process."
Gascoigne made 74 appearances for Rangers between 1995 and 1998, scoring 30 goals.
Following the confirmation of his charges this morning, Gazza tweeted: "Hi as u know ive been charged with a sexual assault from 4 mths ago plus the police who charged me asked me for selfies&an autograph ? Why if I did wrong ok I'm sticking up4myself my manager SHANE said say nothing leave it2 the lawyers no I'm my own lawyer I did fuck all wrong."
He later deleted the tweet.
Featured Image Credit: PA