Advert

Latest

15 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

7 hours ago
Advert

Rocket Hits Dad In Neck As Back Garden Fireworks Display Goes Wrong

Rocket Hits Dad In Neck As Back Garden Fireworks Display Goes Wrong

A dad has been hit in the neck by a rocket he set off in his back garden - but still plans to put on another firework display next year.

Footage shows Neil Sjollema watching a pack of fireworks - including a Roman candle, wheel, mines, aerial shot tubes, rockets, multi-shots, and fountains - go off outside his home in Shenley, Hertfordshire, UK, when a wayward rocket heads straight for his neck.

Advert

The laughter of children can then be heard as the 39-year-old dad-of-two is struck by the projectile, prompting a woman to shout: "Oh my god! Kids, I think you better get in! Where are the kids?!"

While the fireworks undoubtedly backfired - and could have very easily ended much worse - the building site manager said the pain in the neck won't deter him from setting off fireworks again next year.

He said: "That was pretty funny looking back, there was an initial panic but it made for a fun night.

"I had some friends and their kids over to have a mini firework display in the garden, after buying a set.

Advert

"The whole thing literally went off with a bang - and then one of the rockets hit me. It didn't hurt too much actually, as I think I was full of adrenaline and wanted to make sure the kids were safe.

"But it's left me with a tiny mark on my neck. A little souvenir, if you like. It won't stop me trying again next year."

The close shave hasn't put the dad off fireworks. Credit: SWNS
The close shave hasn't put the dad off fireworks. Credit: SWNS

Unfortunately, many animals have not come out of fireworks season quite so unscathed. One woman whose 18-week-old puppy 'died from fright' has encouraged people to sign a petition calling for the general sale of fireworks to be banned.

In a Facebook post, Susan Paterson said: "Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.

"Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.

"Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts. We are still trying to make sense of what happened."

One petition calling for a firework ban has received more than 304,000 signatures, meaning it will be considered for a debate by MPs.

The petition - which was set up by Elizabeth Jayne Harden - reads: "Every year more and more people, animals and wildlife get hurt by fireworks. It's time something was done to stop this. There are enough organised firework groups around for us to still enjoy fireworks safely so please help me stop the needless sale of them to the public!"

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: uk news, Fireworks

Jake Massey

Jake Massey is a journalist at LADbible. He graduated from Newcastle University, where he learnt a bit about media and a lot about living without heating. After spending a few years in Australia and New Zealand, Jake secured a role at an obscure radio station in Norwich, inadvertently becoming a real-life Alan Partridge in the process. From there, Jake became a reporter at the Eastern Daily Press. Jake enjoys playing football, listening to music and writing about himself in the third person.

 

Next Up

Guy Uses 'Dead Grandad' Story To Attempt To Get A Date

Guy Uses 'Dead Grandad' Story To Attempt To Get A Date

8 days ago