Doctors Warn About The Dangers Of Wearing Novelty Contact Lenses This Halloween
| Last updated
It's that time of year again, which means, like most people, you're probably desperately searching for a costume for an upcoming Halloween party.
An increasingly popular trick in recent years, is for people to wear coloured contact lenses to give their outfit that extra spooky edge.
But this seemingly innocent fashion choice has turned into a real-life horror, with people being rushed to hospital after seriously damaging their eyes.
Specialists have now warned about the importance of staying safe this Halloween and making sure people protect their eyes.
Dr Nigel Best, Specsavers clinical spokesperson, told LADbible: "While novelty contact lenses may seem like a perfect costume addition, they can cause damage to eyes - especially if they are not handled correctly.
"Not knowing how to wear or care for them can also result in numerous minor eye conditions - such as red eye, infections and scratches - as well as more serious complications that can, in severe cases, lead to sight loss.
"Halloween contact lenses have become incredibly popular in recent years; however, consumers often are not aware of the risks associated with misusing contact lenses.
"In particular, if a wearer hasn't had a proper consultation with an optometrist beforehand, they probably haven't been taught how to wear or care for their lenses correctly.
"The results can be nasty and range from mildly irritating complications, to potentially sight-threatening conditions such as fungal infections like microbial keratitis."
Dr Best urged people to seek medical attention if they notice any kind of problems.
He added: "If you do start to notice any discomfort, irritation or pain during or after wearing Halloween contact lenses it is important you visit an opticians immediately.
"Many of our Specsavers stores now offer eye health clinics where you can receive treatment for a range of minor eye conditions without needing to visit your GP or hospital."
Last year, a mother came out and urged people to take care when wearing novelty contacts as her daughter went blind for several days.
Julie Turcotte told local media that her 11-year-old daughter Emilie almost lost her eyesight after wearing coloured lenses for Halloween.
Julie, who lives in the Montreal suburb of Blainville located in the eastern Canadian province of Quebec, said: "For four days we were so scared. She could not see anything. All that for Halloween contact lenses!"
Featured Image Credit: PA
Topics: UK News, Interesting, halloween, Health