• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Spiking Victim Found Concussed In Men's Toilet After 'One Sip Of Drink'

| Last updated 

Spiking Victim Found Concussed In Men's Toilet After 'One Sip Of Drink'

A woman has set up an online platform to help others after she had her drink spiked while on a night out, having woken up in the men's toilets of a venue with injuries to her face.

Mair Howells, 22, had been out in Peckham, south London, with friends when she suddenly found herself in a bad way.

She recalled: "I took a sip of my drink and then I remember nothing.

"I was passing some drinks to my friends and that's the last thing I remember. It was a complete blackout and that's something that's never happened to me before."


Credit: My London/BPM MEDIA
Credit: My London/BPM MEDIA

While Howells felt fine the next morning, she had no memory of how she got home - or what had happened to her.

She had been found in the men's toilets with a concussion, her chin split and wrist fractured.


The next day, she went to get her injuries treated at A&E, where she was told it looked like she may have had her drink spiked - the nurse telling her the same thing had happened to her.

Howells continued: "I was confused and angry that someone had done this to me.

"It was a bar I had been to load of times before and somewhere I felt safe."

Her mum requested to see CCTV from the bar, but the footage had been blocked by fairy lights.


"I thought that was a little weird because surely a camera facing at the bar is the most crucial one," Howells added.

Credit: My London/BPM MEDIA
Credit: My London/BPM MEDIA

Figures from the BBC show that there were 2,600 reported incidents in England and Wales since 2015.

Many incidents, however, end up going unreported because people often don't realise what's happened to them.

Howells also said she didn't bother going to the police as they had been 'hopeless' when dealing with her sister, who was sadly spiked two months before her.

After the incident, Howells found there were limited resources around spiking in the UK, and was inspired to set up the platform @ivebeenspiked, which aims to raise awareness of the issue and educate others.


Howells said: "It's such a grey area in terms of safety and there needs to be a proper system in place.

"The police tell you to go to A&E to get a blood test but from experience, you're just ping ponged about during what is already a distressing time.

Credit: Alamy
Credit: Alamy

"We need to make sure there's support offered to victims, there's no aftercare, no follow up and we need a better education whether that's in schools and universities.

"Ideally I would prevent it but if I can't do that then the least I can do is to educate people so that they know this is happening.

"If someone has been spiked they can't help themselves, we need to educate everyone so that people are aware and they can help each other."

Since setting up her platform, Howells has heard from many other people who have been in the same situation - including one who said they were injected into their hand while on a night out.

A petition started by @ivebeenspiked, which is calling on the government for an urgent review into drink spiking, has now received more than 3,000 signatures.

Featured Image Credit: My London/BPM MEDIA

Topics: UK News, News, Drink

Jess Hardiman
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Top Gun Fans In Tears After Watching Val Kilmer’s Return In New Film

16 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Legendary Goodfellas Actor Ray Liotta Has Died Aged 67

3 days ago